DOBRODZIEN: Olesno Print

Coat of arms of DobrodzieńGuttentag

50°44' N 18°27' E , 151.6 miles SW of Warszawa. Alternate names: Guttentag [Ger] formerly located in Czestochowa, the town now is in Olesno County, Opole Voivodeship with 4,168 inhabitants in 2006. town map and photos. photos.  In 1846 a fire destroyed the synagogue built in 1781. In 1848 a new synagogue was built and later a mikvah and a two-classroom school. On Crystal Night, the synagogue was burned and a shop in the marketplace. The last Jews from Dobrodzień died in extermination camps. [April 2009]

CEMETERY: photos. Situated on Lubliniecka Street, outside the town, the 0.54 hectare cemetery established at the end of seventeenth century has a brick wall. After WWII, the last gravedigger/caretaker moved out of the caretaker house in the cemetery that was torn down afterward. A 1971 plaque on the wall marking the cemetery was stolen. The cemetery became overgrown. Bricks from the wall were stolen. A 1987 consideration to renovate the deteriorating cemetery never was carried out. In 2001, due to the "Antyschematy" initiative, cemetery renovation began. Young people from Germany, Israel, and Poland volunteered to clear the thick bushes and right toppled gravestones. Broken pieces have been placed at the western wall as a lapidarium. The entry has a new, metal open-work gate with a large menorah that locks. 200 gravestones are in the cemetery with the oldest dating from 1773. [April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000161: The US Commission is not finished rechecking this file. [2000]

Last Updated on Monday, 04 May 2009 10:25