You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland DOBRIN: see Debrzno Wies
DOBRIN: see Debrzno Wies PDF Print E-mail

see Debrzno Wies

The agricultural area was devastated by the Swedish war with only 200 people remaining. The first Jews settled in the town during the 17th century when its reconstruction began, but because of a series of fires beset Dobrin during 1762-1768, their economic base was undermined. In 1757 there was organized Jewish community. In the mid-19th century, a wooden synagogue was built. Jewish occupations were trade and crafts with many Jewish tailors, a bakery, and distilliers. A record of a visit to Catholic parishes in Drobinie at the end of the eighteenth century says, "There is much drunkenness on account of the Jews." 1808 Jewish population: 1607 (93.6%). Thereafter, this number decreased, but for many years remained the majority of the population. 1921 Census of Jews: 2,439. Shortly after the city was captured by the Nazis in WWII came a ban on access to JePo sześciu dniach udało się im powrócić do miasta. After six days they managed to return wish shops and businesse and numerous repression. On 11 September 1939 the men were arrested and the next day taken to Sierpc. After six days, they managed to return to the city. Germany put on several humiliating shows of Jews, including forcing the local rabbi to sweeping the market. Jewish artisans and craftsmen legally barred from self-employment were left without any means to earn a living and were unable even to feed their families.  Among them were about one hundred refugees from Mlawa, Rypin, Lipno, Raciaz, Sierpc, and other places. In mid-September, the Germans began abducting Jews from the streets and from their houses for forced labor in two hospitals for Polish POWs, in agricultural settlements, and in fields near Drobin. Jews were also forced to work cleaning the streets of the town.  Some professional men were forced to work in two factories (clothing and shoes) testablished by Poles in businesses confiscated from Jews. At first the Jews worked without pay, but after a time these "dedicated workers" received a daily salary of 75 pfennigs sufficient to purchase 300 grams of bread. In 1940, Jews were compelled to prepare gravel to pave roads for a German company that paid  1.20 marks per day. German authorities in Drobin forced most of the town's Jewish inhabitants to work including women and children. During Rosh Hashanah (September 14)), the Germans force the rabbi of Drobin, Shmuel Eliyahu Klibansky, as well as other Jews, to sweep the marketplace. On Yom Kippur (September 23), Gestapo troops arrived with pre-prepared lists furnished to them and  threw the Jews out of the synagogue and gathered them on the market, then ordered them to burn their religious books. During a four-hour period, all the barbers among them were ordered to shave off the beards and payes of those assembled. With rifle butt blows, they force the men to perform physical exercises, to run, and to sing. With cruel blows from rifle butts they forced the men to perform physical exercises, to run, and to sing before the eyes of a group of local Poles and Germans assembled to see the "show." Many laughed and mocked their Jewish neighbors. This foreshadowed the destruction. Soon, the Jews were forced into slave labor.In July 1940 the Germans established a labor camp in Balck for the Jews of that area and Jews from Drobin were incarcerated there. Tthe situation of these Jewish prisoners was especially difficult in that they had to suffer mistreatment not only from the German guards, but from the Polish prisoners as well. After the March 1941deportations, about 700 Jews remained in Drobin in the ghetto that had been established at that time at the outskirts of the city near the old Jewish cemetery.  All were deported to the ghetto in Nove Niasto near Plonsk. In December 1941, all were deported to the ghetto in Nove Niasto, near Plonsk, and their fate was the same as that of the Jewish inhabitants of that locale. In March 1941, about six hundred Jews were deported to Piotrkow Trybunalski. About 20,000 Jews were in Piotrkow at that time, among them thousands of refugees. Most of the Jews who had been brought from Drobin were held in the Synagogue at 20 Yirozolimska Street. Most of the Jews who had been brought from Drobin were held in the Synagogue, which was at 20 Yirozolimska Street.Typhus, hunger and disease killed hundreds of Jews from Drobin. Most  who did not perish were sent to Auschwitz at the end of the 1942. Of the 600 Drobniner Jews brought to Piotrkow, only six surived. After the war, several tried to start a normal life here, but after the murder in August 1945 of five Jews by Poles from Raciąż,  9 km from Drobin.including Meir Salzmann and Josef Frank, they left the city. Of 1,300 Jews  in Drobin before the war,  50 or 60 survived   [May 2009]

Old Cemetery:: Established in the mid-18th century, the old cemetery was completely destroyed by the Nazis. Gravestones were used by the Germans to construct roads and pavements. Its site was used for Nazis exercises. In 1960, Rabbi Abraham came to Dobrin. Seth J. Bookey in his study on the shtetl describes the visit: "It was his first return to the city since 1942 with his family and other Jews sent to Auschwitz. No Jews remained, but there was a synagogue. The cemeteries were profaned. One was a playground on ul. Sierpeckiej of what became a cooperative agricultural community. All the monuments removed were used for the construction of pavements. The rabbi stopped the middle of the cemetery and refused to say Kaddish. He went to Warsaw to protest and despite many difficulties, the government ordered the gathering of tombstones from the streets and their transport to the cemetery, where they were reburied." In the Jewish cemetery on ul. Sierpeckiej is a modest monument of stylized matzevot with the inscription: "This space is dedicated to drobińskim Jews dead and murdered by the Nazi occupiers. Part of their memory!" [May 2009]

New Cemetery: Currently, a tree nursery. [May 2009]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 July 2012 19:30
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution