|DOBRE MIASTO: Olsztynskie|
Alternate names: Dobre Miasto, Guttstadt [Ger], 53°59' N 20°24' E, 122.2 miles NNW of Warszawa, 26 km from Olsztyn in Olsztyn County in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship with a 2004 population of 10,579. The town is located in NW Masurian Lake District in the center of the historical region Warmia and is the seat of Dobre Miasto Commune with 16,014 total inhabitants. During WWII, Guttstadt was 65% destroyed during its capture by the Soviet Red Army and the NKVD. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000260
The cemetery is located at Olsztynska St. opposite the Roman Catholic cemetery [error: see updates below]. 1991 town population: 5,000-25,000; no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1824. 1938 Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish population was 48. The cemetery was established in the second half of the 19th century. The last known burial was late 1930s. No other communities used this cemetery unlandmarked suburban, flat land near other cemeteries with no sign or marker. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all with is no wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery was about.20 hectares before WWII; no change. No gravestones remain. No known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for a recreational area surrounded by residential land. Few visitors stop. Maintenance or care is some clearing of vegetation by the municipality. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. No threats.
Wiktor Krercer 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33m16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in Oct. 1991 based on a site visit. Documentation: Frederichs, Deutsches Studtebuch... Stuttgart 1939. Interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Monday, 15 June 2009 11:42|