Alternate names: Dobra [Pol, Yid, Rus], Russian: Добра. דוברה-Hebrew. 51°55' N, 18°37' E, 38 miles WNW of Łódź, 26 miles NE of Kalisz, 9 miles SE of Turek. 1900 Jewish population: 1,185. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000703
Alternate names: Dobermil [?cil?] in Yiddish. The cemetery is located on Kilinskiego St. 1992 town population: 1,000- 5,000; no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1521 according to "Liber Beneficiorum" of J. Laski. In 1936, there were 1040 Jews among 2802 inhabitants. The last Rabbi before World War II was Rabbi Isahar Beer. The cemetery was established around 1880 replacing the old one by the former synagogue. The last know burial was probably 13 Jews who were killed in 1941-2 during their escape from where they had gathered in a church. The old cemetery was used by Turek; the new only by Dobra. The unlandmarked cemetery on an isolated suburban hilltop has no sign or marker. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery was about 1 hectare before WWII; the same now. Around 60 matserot are at the private lot belonging to Mr. Cerpst, 33 Dekerta St. During the German occupation the mayor (Unger) lived there. Two fragments are at Mr. Kupczyk's lot, 2 Ks. Sperczynskiego St. (Original form included a sketch).
The fewer than 20 gravestones, none in original location with fewer than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. Sandstone tombstones with carved relief decoration have been removed to 33 Dekerta St., Dobra, around the house and into the bridge over the ditch between the road to Sieradz and the dirt road 100 meters from the cemetery. Some have traces of painting. No known mass graves. The municipality owns the property now a pine forest surrounded by farmland. The few visitors are private local residents. It was vandalized during WWII. There has been no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is only threat.
Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 62-510 Konin, ul. 11 Listopada 15/76, tel. 43 43 56 completed survey on 28 August 1992 based on a site visit on 27 August 1992, literature, and an interview with Stanislaw Stasiak, Dobra, ul. Kalinskiego 136.
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 May 2009 10:22|