You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland DOBIEGNIEW: Lubusz
DOBIEGNIEW: Lubusz PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Dobiegniew

Alternate names: Dobiegniew, Dobiehiewo, Woldenberg, Woldenberg Neumark. 52°58' N 15°45' E, 225.6 miles WNW of Warszawa, 40 km from Gorzow Wlkp.  Dobiegniew is a town in Lubusz Voivodeship in Strzelce-Drezdenko County with 3,189 inhabitants in 2004. In WWII, Oflag II-C POW camp was located nearby. The 1897 Meyers Konversations-Lexikon shows 4667 people in Woldenberg (65 Catholics and 131 Jews). 1921 Jewish population: 51. Possible synagogue (photo) resembling a train station on ul. Tuwina (Eisenbahn Street), adjacent to the railroad tracks, has a round window with a Mogen David. The Woldenberg synagogue on Junkerstraße (now Jednosci Robotniczej), is the building on the right side with the small two towers on each edge. [April 2009]

CEMETERY: The 19th century fenced Progressive/Reform cemetery is located at the Bohaterow Getta street. Only matzevot fragments remain. The (old) Jewish cemetery was out of town (#28 on map), on the east side just between the Woldenberg lake (Jez. Wielgie) and the road for Hochzeit (Stare Osieczno).[April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000361

Cemetery location: Zukowa Street, in the NE part of town, on Lake Wielgie. 1991 town population: under 25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy w Dobiegniewie
  • Local: mgr Wladyslaw Chrostowski, Wojewodru Knoservator Zabytkow 66-413 Sorzow Wlkp ul. Z (orJ) agielloricyka 8; tel. 75-295
  • Regional: Panistwowe Sturbo Odwowy Zabytkow Oddnar(?) w Sorzowie Wlkp, mgr.Irona Brzeziecka, adres j.w.(?).

1921 Jewish population was 51. The Progressive/Reform cemetery was established at the beginning of the 19th century. Another town using this unlandmarked cemetery was Bierzwnik. The isolated suburban area near a water body has no sign or marker. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open; there is no wall, fence, or gate. The original size of the cemetery was 10 hectares; it now is liquidated. The approximate number of gravestones in the cemetery is fewer than 20, none in original location. Stones are dispersed along the road. The oldest gravestone is 1892; others sandstone gravestones with inscriptions in Hebrew and German date from the 19th century. No known mass graves. A private individual owns the property that is now used for agriculture. Nearby properties are agricultural. It was vandalized during WWII. There has been no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. No threats except vandalism.

Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szcrecin ul, Soctysia 3173, Tel 377-41 completed this survey on 14 Oct. 1991. The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 April 2009 13:02
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution