|DABROWA GORNICZA: Katowice|
Alternate names: Dąbrowa Górnicza [Pol], Dombrova [Yid], Dombrowa [Ger], Dabrova Gornicha, Dambrova Gurnicha, Dombrava Gornitsha, Dombrowa Gornicza, Dombrove Gur, Russian: Домброва-Гурнича. דאַמבראָווע גורניטשע-Yiddish. 50°20' N, 19°12' E, in Zagłębie Dąbrowskie region, 36 miles WNW of Kraków, 32 miles S of Częstochowa, 2 miles E of Będzin (Bendin). 1900 Jewish population: 2,554.
Yizkors: Sefer Kehilat Yehudei Dabrowa Gornicza ve-hurbana (Tel Aviv, 1971); Pinkas Zaglembye (Melbourne, 1972); Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999); Sefer Sosnowiec ve-ha-seviva be-Zaglembie [vol. 1] (Tel Aviv, 1973). ShtetLink.
A city in NE district of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, the Silesian Highlands, on the Czarna Przemsza and Biała Przemsza rivers (tributaries of the Vistula), ametropolis with the population of 2 million. In the Silesian Voivodeship since its formation in 1999 and previously in Katowice Voivodeship, Dąbrowa Górnicza in Katowice urban area within a greater Silesian metropolitan area with about 5,294,000 people. The 2008 city population is 128,795.The city started in 19th century after the discovery of coal near the city in 1785. Huta Bankowa steel works, still functioning, began in 1834. Jews settled in Dabrowa Gornicza in the mid-19th century and engaged in small trade and metal crafts. Up until the end of the 18th century Jews could not settle in Dabrowa Górnicza, apart from one family mentioned in the 1890's. Later Jews, by a decree of the mines administration, only could rent public bars and inns around the mines. Being a rural settlement made it difficult for Jews to obtain permission for settlement. In 1828, because of a lack of manpower, Jewish workers accepted for work in the mines so the first two Jewish families settled in Dabrowa Górnicza, Rozencwajg and Natan. In 1836, the Krakow regional inspector allowed several more Jews from Bedzin to settle in Dabrowa Górnicza and to trade. Until 1841, no weekly market day existed in Dabrowa Górnicza; everything was purchased in Bedzin. Jewish traders came to Dabrowa Górnicza from Bedzin to sell their wares and some settled. Thus, most Dabrowa Górnicza's Jews came from Bedzin. 1921 Jewish population: 4,304 (11%). The German army took the town on Sept. 3, 1939. In Autum 1940 and in 1941, several hundred young men were deported to slave labor camps in Germany. At the end of 1942, a ghetto was established. On May 5, 1942, the first deportation sent 630 Jews were taken to Auschwitz and exterminated. The August 12, 1942 deportation sent another few hundred Jews to Auschwitz. On June 26, 1943, the ghetto was liquidated and all Jews were sent to the ghetto in Srodula (a suburb of Sosnowiec), the only ghetto remaining in Upper Silesia. That was liquidated and all its inhabitants murdered in Auschwitz. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: In 1910, the Dabrowa Górnicza kehilla was permitted to open a Jewish cemetery. Before, the Jews of Dabrowa Górnicza buried their dead in Bedzin. The cemetery is located at ul. Wolka 5 or ul. Mydlice. photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000253: The US Commission is not finished rechecking this file. 
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 September 2010 12:05|