|DABIE nad NEREM: Koło|
Alternate names: Dąbie [Pol], Dambia [Yid], Dąbie Miasto, Dąbie nad Nerem, Dambye, Dombe, Dombie, Dombye, Russian: Домбе. דומביה-Hebrew. 52°05' N, 18°50' E, 11 miles SE of Koło, 35 miles NW of Łódź. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region. (Jerusalem, 1976). 1900 Jewish population: 977. The town on Ner River in central Poland in Koło County of Greater Poland Voivodeship with 2200 inhabitants was first mentioned in 1232. Most of the Jews were murdered in Chelmno. Dabie, settled in 1423, had a few Jewish families in the 18th century and a rapid population increase with early 19th century industrialization that lead to fabric factories although Jewish weavers worked at home. Breweries, distilleries, confectioneries, and flour mills also were Jewish occupations. Jews sold local produce and leather in Lodz, Kolo and Kalisz. Market days for Dabie and the surrounding area also were income producers. A cooperative bank, synagogue, beit midrash, schools, and Chassidic minyans existed. The German invasion changed conditions. The fenced Jewish ghetto, initially open, began in summer 1940. At the end of the summer, 150 men and 50 women were sent to work camps in the Poznan region. On December 14-17, 1941, the Germans sent the remaining 1,000 Jews to the Chelmno Extermination Camp. photos of Dabie Jewish sites. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000702
The cemetery is located at 18 Lesna Street (Wiesiolkow) in Koninskie at 52º05 18º49, 20 km from Kolo. 1992 population: 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
In 1792, Icek Heyman, the first Jew, lived in Dabie. The Progressive/Reform and Orthodox Jewish cemetery existed as of 1811; the first burial was February 3, 1822. Living here were Rabbi Fabius Kowalski (up to 1848); Lejzer Glicenstein, Icek Rozental (1882), Abram Laski, and Abel Lewin, teachers (1895). The last known Jewish burial was 1939. Karszew, Tarnowka Wiesiotowska, Krupin Wies, Ladorudz, Chelmno, Chojny, Kietczewek Wies Ladorudz and Majdany and other villages, 2-10 km away, used the cemetery. The rural (agricultural) isolated crown of a hill has no wall or fence. Access, turning directly off a public road, is open to all. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII and today is 0.72 ha. No gravestones are visible. Two sandstone removed stones are in the Museum in Konin; a number of stones were incorporated into roads or structures. A private individual (see above) owns the cemetery used for animal grazing. Occasionally, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance or care. A pre-burial house was destroyed in 1945 during the war. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access and weather erosion.
Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 62-510 Konin, 15, 11 Listopada St., Ap. 76, tel. No. 43 43 56 visited and completed survey on September 3, 1992. The work of Dr. J. Mujto, literature and an interview with Ms. Zurowska, Dabie, 18, Lesna St. (the cemetery) were used.
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 April 2009 23:17|