Alternate names: Człuchów [Pol], Schlochau [Ger], Człuchowo, Człëchòwò [Kash], Słuchów. 53°40' N, 17°22' E, in Middle Pomerania, 71 miles SW of Gdańsk (Danzig), 44 miles NW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). 1900 Jewish population: 495 in 1880 and 125 in 1933. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), I, pp. 862-867: "Człuchowo". A town in Middle Pomerania, NW Poland with 14,610 inhabitants in 2004, Człuchów has been the capital of Człuchów County in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999. From 1975 to 1998, it was in Słupsk Voivodeship, a forested area in SW Pomeranian Voivodeship at the intersection of Highway 25 from Koszalin to Bydgoszcz and Highway 22 from Gorzów Wielkopolski to Elbląg, the nearest city is Chojnice, 15 km E. In 1466, with the Człuchów region again under Polish reign, Jews fleeing Western Europe because of persecution, settled here. By 17th century Człuchów, a Jewish quarter with synagogue (built in 1570), school and cemetery existed. In 1748, the Jewish population were 158 Jews in 16 families and 367 in 1895. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Jewish population diminished. On Kristallnacht of 1938, the synagogue was set on fire and many Jews robbed and beaten. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000776
Cemetery: ul. Wojska Polskiego. 1992 town population was 6,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery dates from the 18th century. Surrounding villages did not use the unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII and today is 0.30 ha. No stones remain. The municipality owns the property used for recreation (park, playground, sports field). Properties adjacent are residential and a school. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II. No maintenance; no structures.
Henryk Grecki, Tel. 330-741, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13 visited site in August 1992 and completed survey on March 9th, 1993. He used Karta Cmentarza 9.03.1992. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 April 2009 14:02|