52°36' N 19°57' E, 50.4 miles WNW of Warszaw. (German Schwarzenau), a town and municipality in central Poland with 2,536 inhabitants in 2005 on the Wrześnicą River in a predominately agricultural area, is situated in Gniezno County in the Greater Poland Voivodeship since 1999, previously in Poznań Voivodeship (1975-1998). Czerniejewo is located 15 km from Gniezno and 12 km from Września. Gmina Czerniejewo is an urban-rural administrative district of which Czerniejewo is the seat. Gmina Czerniejewo also contains the villages and settlements of Czeluścin, Gębarzewko, Gębarzewo, Golimowo, Goraniec, Goranin, Graby, Kąpiel, Kosmowo, Kosowo, Nidom, Pakszyn, Pakszynek, Pawłowo, Rakowo, Szczytniki Czerniejewskie and Żydowo. town photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000462
The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1873. The landmarked Jewish cemetery dates from the first half of the 17th century. Nekla Jewish community also used the Conservative cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has a sign in Polish, referring to Jews. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. No gravestones are visible. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II. No maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth, a seasonal problem impeding access, threatens cemetery.
Pniewski Staworcie of Poznan, ul. Przybyszewskiego 41/4 completed survey in August 1991. He visited the site. Jolanta Korat-Marczyrska of Kiev, Zespotu Wgznauiowcyo/M. was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 02 May 2009 12:06|