CZARNE: Skupskie /Człuchów Print

Coat of arms of CzarneAlternate names: Czarne [Pol], Hammerstein [Ger]. 53°41' N 16°56' E, 195.9 miles WNW of Warszawa. a town in Człuchów County of Pomeranian Voivodeship in northern Poland. 2000 Population: 6,053. After the partitions of Poland in 1772, the town was in the Prussian Province of West Prussia. The Prussian Army built a large training ground (Übungsplatz) in 1885. In WWI the German Army used it for a large Russian prisoner-of-war camp. In WWII it was the site of the notorious Stalag II-B where tens of thousands, mainly Soviet prisoners, died from disease, mistreatment, and malnutrition. In 1945, the Potsdam Agreement gave the town to Poland part of the "Recovered Territories". photos. Alexander Beer was born here. [April 2009]

CEMETERY: Czarne, ul. Złota, pomorskie. The 0.3793 ha cemetery located on ulica Zlota was established in the mid-18th century, destroyed during WWII, and now built over. No matzevot remain. [April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000777

Czarne is in Skupskie province at 53º41N 16º.55E, 20 km from Szczecin. Cemetery: Zkota Street. 1993 population: 5,000-25,000, no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miastra I Gminy, Czarne. Local: Mgr. Imr. Arch. Zohislaw Daczkowski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabutkow 76-200 Skupsk ul. Jaracza 6, tel. 264-34.
  • Regional: Mgr. Stanislaw Szpilewski, Peustwowa Slurba Odnowy Zabytkow ul. Slupsku, tel. 7[?].

The earliest known Jewish community dates from the 18th century. The Jewish cemetery dates from mid-18th century with last known Progressive/ Reform burial in 1940. No other community used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, is reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign. The area of the cemetery is about. 30 sq. hectares, the same as before World War II. A broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds. Access is open to all. No gravestones are visible. The location of removed stones is unknown. The municipality owns property. Adjacent properties are residential. It was vandalized during WWII, but not now. There is no care or maintenance. There are structures within the cemetery but the adjective is illegible. Incompatible development is the only threat.

Hemgh Siechi [sic] Tel. 330-741 completed the survey in 3/9/1993 and visited the site.

Last Updated on Sunday, 19 April 2009 10:32