Alternate names: Czaplinek [Pol], Tempelburg [Ger]. 53°33' N, 16°14' E, in Pomerania, 68 miles E of Szczecin (Stettin). Jewish population: 218 in 1895 and 69 in 1925. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 291-292: "Tempelburg". town photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000331
Cemetery: Kamienna Street in the NW part of town. 1991 population: 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
There is no caretaker. The unlandmarked Progressive/ Reform Jewish cemetery dates from the mid-19th century. The isolated urban site near water has no sign or plaque. Property adjacent is residential. Reached by turning directly off a public road, the area is about 13 square hectares, the same as prior to World War II. The site has no wall, fence, or gate. Access is open to all. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures or visible gravestones. The location of removed stones is unknown. The municipality owns the cemetery. Incompatible development is a very serious threat.
Mgr. Ing Elibieta Szypuie completed the survey on August 13, 1991 and visited on August 10, 1988. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 19 April 2009 10:07|