Alternate names: Cieszanów [Pol], Tzieshinov [Yid], Cheshanov, Tsyeshinov, Tseshanov, Tsheshanov, ציעשינאוו-Yiddish. 50°14' N, 23°08' E, 35 miles NNE of Przemyśl (Pshemishl), 47 miles NW of L'viv (Lvov). Yizkor: Sefer zikaron le-kehila kedosha Cieszanow, (Tel Aviv, 1970). 1921 Jewish population: 939. Cieszanów is a town in Lubaczów County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship with a 2008 population of 1,916. Behind buildings closest to the front of the church is also on the half-ruined 1889 synagogue. [April 2009]
ShtetLink [October 2000]
Yizkor: Memorial Book of the Martyred Community Cieszanow [November 2011]
Reference: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 75
CEMETERY: The 7,695m² cemetery was established in the late 19th century. No matzevot remain because in 1940 the Nazis used the gravestones in road building. Located adjacent to the Catholic cemetery on the road toward the exit Lublińca (N 50 ° 14 '50.7''E 023 ° 07' 43.8''), during the German occupation part of the road was paved with gravestones. While not one tombstone remains, thanks to Nissenbaum Family Foundation, in 1990, the cemetery area was tidied and fenced. The 1914 ohel of Symcha Isachar Ber Halberstam, son of Ezekiel Szragi Sieniawa, was rebuilt. The caretaker has the key and lives in one of the houses nearest the cemetery. video of cemetery [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000150
Cemetery: on a street formerly named XXX-Lecia LWP. 1991 population: less than 1,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 939. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is the burial place of Simcha Jeheskiel Halbersztam. The isolated urban flat land is reached by turning directly off a public road. A sign or plaque in Polish marks the cemetery. A continuous fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Permission to access is required. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. No gravestones are visible. The location of removed stones is unknown. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Located in a residential area, it occupies the same area as in 1939. Occasionally, private visitors (Jewish and non-Jewish) visit /OR/ rarely visited and now used for industrial purposes [sic]. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II. A Jewish individual from abroad repaired the gate and fence, a Mr. Rubin. The cemetery has a regular, unpaid caretaker.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21 m 1, 02-561 Warsaw, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on October 16, 1991 based on a site visit in 1990 and interviews.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 November 2011 12:38|