Choszczno (German: Arnswalde) is a town (population around 16.173) in West Pomeranian Voivodeship located in a marshy district between the river Stobnica and Klukom lake, 20 mi) SW of Stargard Szczeciński and on the main railway line between Szczecin and Poznań. Choszczno is the administrative centre of the Choszczno County. 80% of its buildings were damaged or destroyed during WWII. The town was rebuilt and is now a center for local government of the Choszczno Gmina. The close proximity of the lakes has made it a tourist attraction for water. Since the 13th century until 1938 in Brandenburg and Kingdom of Prussia, its close proximity to the new Polish border meant the gmina was added to the German border region of Grenzmark Posen-West Prussia in the Province of Pomerania until 1945. WWII saw the establishment of prisoner of war camp, Oflag II B, on the outskirt of the town in 1939 mostly imprisoning Polish and French military. In addition to the town, Gmina Choszczno villages and settlements are Baczyn, Bonin, Brzostno, Chełpa, Czernice, Czyżewka, Gleźno, Golcza, Gostyczyn, Kleszczewo, Kołki, Koplin, Korytowo, Krzowiec, Łaszewo, Nowe Żeńsko, Oraczewice, Pakość, Piasecznik, Płoki, Przywodzie, Radaczewo, Radlice, Raduń, Roztocze, Rudniki, Rudnisko, Rzecko, Rzeczki, Skrzypiec, Sławęcin, Smoleń, Stary Klukom, Stawin, Stradzewo, Sulechówek, Sulino, Suliszewo, Sułowo, Szczepanka, Wardyń, Witoszyn, Wysokie, Zamęcin, Zwierzyn and Zwierzynek. Letter to Jews from Polish clergy. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: The 12ha 87a cemetery located on ulica Waly Chrobrego was established in the early 19th century. No matzevot remain in this site now used as a city park. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000360
The town is located at 53º10N 15º26E, 50 km from Szczecin woj, in Gorzow Wlkp. The cemetery is located in S part of town in a park. 1991 population: 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 116. The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established at the beginning of the 19th century. The isolated suburban hillside is reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign or marker. The area of the cemetery was and is about .35 square hectares. A broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds. Access is open to all. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. No gravestones are visible. The location of removed stones is unknown. The municipality owns cemetery property now part of a recreational park. Local residents frequently visit as a park. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II. No maintenance or care.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin ul, Soltysia 3173, tel. 377-41 completed the survey on August 14, 1991 with no visit or interviews.
|Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2009 11:36|