Alternate names: Choroszcz [Pol], Choroshtch [Yid], Khoroshch [Rus], Choroszcza, Russian: Хорощ. כורושץ-Hebrew. 53°09' N, 22°59' E, 7 miles W of Białystok. 1900 Jewish population: 827. A town in NE Poland situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Białystok Voivodeship (1975-1998) (1975-1998). Gmina Choroszcz is an urban-rural administrative district with its seat in the town of Choroszcz with population of 7,541. Gmina Choroszcz also contains the villages and settlements of Babino, Barszczewo, Czaplino, Dzikie, Dzikie-Kolonia, Gajowniki, Gajowniki-Kolonia, Izbiszcze, Jeroniki, Klepacze, Kolonia Czaplino, Konowały, Kościuki, Krupniki, Kruszewo, Łyski, Mińce, Ogrodniki Barszczewskie, Oliszki, Pańki, Porosły, Porosły-Kolonia, Rogówek, Rogowo, Rogowo-Kolonia, Rogowo-Majątek, Ruszczany, Sienkiewicze, Sikorszczyzna, Śliwno, Turczyn, Zaczerlany, Zaczerlany-Kolonia, Złotoria, Złotoria-Kolonia, Złotoria-Podlesie, Żółtki and Żółtki-Kolonia. ShtetLink. The first mention of Jews in Choroszczy was 1556. A Jewish community existed from the sixteenth century. Jewish population: 1807-199 Jews (30.3%) and 1921-450 (18.7%) who were mainly craftsmen, the innkeeper, and shopkeepers. Local rabbis were Ryfkin and Chaim Leib Dubrawski. Local Jews were relocated to the ghetto in Bialystok during World War II and from there in August 1943 to Treblinka. [April 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: The first Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century at thef current Mickiewicza streets Lipowej. Today, no trace of the cemetery remains. [April 2009]
NEW CEMETERY: Established in the 18th century about one km along the road to town ŁYSEK, the site is partially fenced with an unlocked gate with one section missing. The oldest identified matzevot is from 1834. Land is cleared of vegetation. cemetery photos. [April 2009]
2007 directions, description, and photos: "The cemetery is adjacent to the road between Choroszcz and Łyski, surrounded by pine trees and backs onto an older residential area (west side). It is surrounded by a black wire fence with a few broken sections (especially at the back) and a double gate. Each gate has a Star of David (Image 1). The gates are locked but a missing fence section immediately left of the gates allows entry, with a well-defined path that also delineates the two sides of the cemetery. Rows of matzevoth are visible, with many matzevoth still in situ. On entering the gates (eastern border), the left side preserves 67 matzevoth and 8 supports; the right side 115 matzevoth and 5 supports (Images 2,3) Most matzevoth are quite legible (Images 4,5) and some preserve a unique cornflower/sunflower symbol, an element from local folk art (Images 6). Occasional litter is found in the back. The only danger is from vegetation, which is tended to on occasion." [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000104
Choroszcz is located in region Bialostockie at 53º09 22º59, 10km from Bialegostoku. Cemetery no longer exists but was located between Michiewicza and Lipowa Streets in the center of town next to the Russian Orthodox Church. Present town population is 5,000-25,000; no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1566. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 450. Living here were Rabin Leib Ryfkin and Chaim Dubrawski. The Jewish Hasidic Orthodox and Conservative cemetery was established about 17th century with last burial in 20th century. Surrounding towns within 15 km used the cemetery, vandalized during WWll and no longer extant.
Tomasz Wisniewski, Bialystok, ul. Bema 95 199, tel. 212-46 completed survey on 29 Sept 1991. He visited the site in 1990.
REFERENCE: In his book Jewish Bialystok, Wisniewski notes 259 gravestones remain in the village center cemetery, near the Russian Orthodox church on "edge of forest along road from town to Lyski." P. 70
REFERENCE: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 74
|Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2009 12:12|