CHOJNICE: Bydgoszcz Print

 

Coat of arms of Chojnice Kashubian/Pomeranian: Chònice, German: Konitz. 53°42′N 17°33′E, 70 km from Bydgoszcz. A town in northern Poland near Tuchola Forest, Lake Charzykowskie, and many water reservoirs and capital of the Chojnice County, Chojnice is situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999 and before 1975 and was in Bydgoszcz Voivodeship from 1975 to 1998. 2004 population of 39,670. September 1, 1939 at 4.45 p.m., the German Wehrmacht occupied Chojnice. September 15, three citizens were executed in the city forest (Stadtwald) followed by executions of around 500 more in October and November. [April 2009]

CHOJNICE I:     US Commission No. POCE000591

Cemetery: ul. Mickiewicz. Present population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: the local administration of a commune council in Chojnice.
  • Regional: mgr. Olga Romanowska-Grabowska, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow.

The earliest known Jewish community was second half of the 17th century. The unlandmarked cemetery was established at the same time. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. Before World War II, as well as now, the cemetery occupied 0.5 hectares. No gravestones or known mass graves are visible. The municipality owns site used for recreation. Properties adjacent are recreational and residential. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II or since; there has been no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is a gravedigger's house. Weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats.

Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel: 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. Documentation: the cemetery card of 1987 WKZ Bydgoszcz. She visited in October 1992.

CHOJNICE II:     US Commission No. POCE000592

The earliest known Jewish community was second half of the 18th century. [sic] The cemetery was established c. 1900. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall with no gate. Before and after World War II, the cemetery occupied 0.4 hectares. No stones are visible. Municipality owns property used for industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and residential. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was not vandalized during World War II. There has been no care or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is an empty pre-burial house. Security, weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats.

Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel: 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. Documentation: the cemetery card 1987 WKZ Bydgoszcz.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 April 2009 03:16