|CHODEL: Opole Lubelskie|
Alternate names: Chodel [Pol], Chodla [Yid], Khodel' [Rus], Russian: Ходель. חודל-Hebrew. 51°07' N, 22°08' E, 21 miles WSW of Lublin. 1900 Jewish population: 699. Seat of the Chodel rural administrative district in Opole Lubelskie County, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with a 2006population is 6,771. Gmina Chodel contains the villages and settlements of Adelina, Antonówka, Borów, Borów-Kolonia, Budzyń, Chodel, Godów, Grądy, Granice, Huta Borowska, Jeżów, Kawęczyn, Książ, Lipiny, Majdan Borowski, Osiny, Przytyki, Radlin, Ratoszyn Drugi, Ratoszyn Pierwszy, Siewalka, Stasin, Świdno, Trzciniec, Zastawki and Zosinek. A medium-sized village at the junction of two minor highways (747 and 843) and on the north bank of the Chodelka river with some lakes to the southeast, the village lies in a valley of meadows with a very large wood to the NW. The early name for the village was Nowa Klodnica. There is a mineral water factory. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000636
Cemetery: about 500 meters NE of the center. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 646. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery dates from 1872 with last burial in 1942. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The present size of the cemetery is 0.6 hectares. There are no gravestones, mass graves, or structures. The present owner of the cemetery is unknown. The property is used for animal grazing and waste dump. Properties adjacent are commercial/ industrial, agricultural, and a school. Visitors rarely stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWll with no maintenance or care. Serious threats are security, vegetation, vandalism, and development. The site is located outside of the town and is used for waste dump as well as a sandpit.
Pawel Sypowski, ul. Kalinowsziryzua 64/59, 20-201 Lublin, tel. 77-20-78 completed survey in Dec. 1993. The site was visited in 1992.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 16 April 2009 09:42|