52°53′N 14°12′E, (German: Zehden) is a town in West Pomeranian Voivodeship in Gryfino County close to the Oder River, near the border with Germany. 2006 population: 1,639. The town is situated directly across the Oder River from the German town of Oderberg. Zehden is 30 miles N/E of Berlin on 1882 map of Brandenburg. In 1252 the town of Cidini, Zedin, Cedene, Ceden, Zehden (all pronounced about the same) became a part of the Margraviate of Brandenburg. During wars in the 17th century, the town was destroyed by Swedes. In 1701 it became a part of the Kingdom of Prussia, (previously Brandenburg-Prussia), then after dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire it became part of the German Empire in 1871. On 1945 after WWII Zehden along with all of eastern Germany including eastern Brandenburg was handed over to Poland. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: photos. "In the village of Cedynia, narrow streets wind uphill past old farmhouses and crumbling brick walls. On a well-mown slope overlooking the surrounding plain, several tombstones stand lovingly restored but face the wrong way." Source: Deep South Jewish Voice. Located near ul. Kościuszki, the date of its establishment is unknown, but the first half of the nineteenth century is likely. The landmarked cemetery survived WWII in relatively good condition. After liberation, the abandoned site gradually became neglected. In the mid-1970s, gravestones remained, some still standing. The cemetery was very large, larger than today. Most of the ornamentation on gravestones is not specifically Jewish. photos [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000195
The address of the cemetery is 74-130 Cedynia. Cedynia is in Szczecin region at 52º30 14º34. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B 73-110 Stargard; tel. 73-44-40 completed survey on October 19, 1991. He visited the site on October 14, 1991 and interviewed local residents.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2009 00:15|