Alternate names: Burzenin [Pol], Buzhenin [Rus], Russian: Буженин. בוז'נין-Hebrew. 51°28' N, 18°50' E, 10 miles SSE of Sieradz. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). Jewish population: 329 in 1884 and 228 in 1921. The Jews had a Beit Midrash and a cemetery used by the Jews of Sieradz until 1812 when they established a cemetery of their own. Although part of the Sieradz Jewish Community, but the Burzenin Jews had their own rabbi. Burzenin Jews were sent to the ghetto of nearby Zduńska Wola in 1941. A village in Sieradz County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland and the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Burzenin with an approximate population of 1,100. Gmina Burzenin contains the villages and settlements of Antonin, Będków, Biadaczew, Brzeźnica, Burzenin, Działy, Grabówka, Gronów, Jarocice, Kamilew, Kamionka, Kolonia Niechmirów, Kopanina, Krępica, Ligota, Majaczewice, Marianów, Niechmirów, Nieczuj, Prażmów, Redzeń Drugi, Redzeń Pierwszy, Ręszew, Rokitowiec, Sambórz, Strumiany, Strzałki, Świerki, Szczawno, Tyczyn, Waszkowskie, Witów, Wola Będkowska, Wola Majacka, Wolnica Grabowska and Wolnica Niechmirowska. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000682
The cemetery is in Samborz, a suburban village. 1992 town population: 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Access to the cemetery is open to all with no maintenance. The earliest known Jewish community was in the 18th century. 1921 Census was 228 Jews or 19.9%. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Jewish burial in 1942. Communities from other towns used this cemetery. The isolated suburban, agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, no wall, fence, or gate surround. The present size of the cemetery is approximately 2 hectares. No stones are visible. Municipality owns site used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, organized Jewish groups, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No structures exist.
Adam Penkalla, Gagarina 9124, 26-600 Radom, completed this survey in November 1992. Private documentation was used.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 April 2009 18:54|