Alternate names: Bukowsko [Pol], Bikavsk [Yid], Bakavsk, Bikovsk, Bukovska, בוקאווסק-Yiddish. 49°29' N, 22°04' E, 8 miles SW of Sanok.
Yizkors: Sefer zikaron le-kehilat Sanok ve-ha-siviva (Jerusalem, 1970) and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 3: Western Galicia and Silesia (Jerusalem, 1984).
ShtetLink. 1900 Jewish population: 748. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), I, p. 471: "Bukowsko".
Photo [January 2016]
Administrative center of Gmina Bukowsko crossed by the railroad connecting it with Slovakia. Home to Uniwersytet Ludowy opened in 2005, Bukowsko is situated in the poorest region of Poland. Villages and settlements: Bełchówka, Dudyńce, Kamienne, Karlików, Nadolany, Nagórzany, Nowotaniec, Płonna, Pobiedno, Przybyszów, Ratnawica, Tokarnia, Wola Piotrowa, Wola Sękowa, Wolica, and Zboiska. After the Nazis captured the town, Jewish homes and shops were robbed by the neighboring Ukrainians. In the spring 1942, 804 Jews of Bukowsko and over 300 of the surrounding villages were put into a ghetto. 100 were shot in the the local (Jewish) cemetery. The rest were transported to the camp in Zwangsarbeitslager Zaslaw. None of the prayer houses survived the war. Only a few matzevot remain in the cemetery. Bukowsko also had a labor camp which existed from August to October of 1942. The Jews, 60 on average, carried out road construction. The village was burned down January, March and November 1946 by the UPA. Only over a dozen years after the war the village started to rebuild. [April 2009]
In 2007, the gmina of Bukowsko cleaned-up the Jewish cemetery, placed a historical marker, resting/contemplative area, and road sign. Counting from the bottom of the thumbnail photos, the Jewish cemetery is at 29, 30, 31 & 32. On Debbie Raff's site, scroll down to Jewish Cemetery for photos and more information. Source: Debbie Raff [April 2011]
US Commission No. POCE000718
Cemetery: forest, 3 km E of village center. 1992 population: 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population (census) was 623 persons. Orthodox Jews used this cemetery. The isolated wooded hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The size of the cemetery is 0.5 hectares. No gravestones are visible. Stones were incorporated in roads or structures in the premises of the Agricultural Circle in Bukowsko. The cemetery is now overgrown by young forest. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Private persons visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance. There are no structures.
Piotr Antoniock completed this survey on Sept. 11, 1992 and visited the site on Aug. 8, 1992. He interviewed M. Przybos, 38-505 Bukowsko.
|Last Updated on Friday, 15 January 2016 16:42|