Brzozów (Yiddish: ברעזשוב-Brezhiv), a town in SE Poland at 49°42′N 22°01′E with 7,677 inhabitants in 2008, is in Subcarpathian Voivodeship since 1999 and the seat of both Brzozów County and the smaller administrative district of Gmina Brzozów, 24 mi S of Rzeszów. Brzozów was founded in 1359 as Stara Wieś (Old Village). In 1550-1650, nineteen trades practiced included cloth-making, food processing, leather-making, wood, metal, and ceramic trades. The first hospital was in 1518. Tatar attacks took place in 1525, 1623-25, 1629 and 1674. Brzozów declined commercially until the 19th century. Their walnut oil and plum oil was a famous. For hundreds of years, the town manufactured combs until the 1960s. ShtetLink. Article:"The Extinguished Jewish Shtetl." Part II, The Forward, June 6, 1986, p. 13-4.[ town photos. April 2009]
MASS GRAVE: At the Jewish cemetery on ul. Ceglowska, Dreiza and Natan Weiss of Israel established a monument on the site of the mass grave of August 1942. They began building a fence around the cemetery area in 1994. The discovered pieces of gravestones were incorporated into the monument in the form of the tablets of law. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000707
Brzozow is located in Krosnienskie region at 49°42 22°02, 20 km from Krosno and 50 km from Rzeszow.
Cemetery: ulica Ceglowska. 1991 town population: 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1921 Jewish population was 1127. The Orthodox cemetery is located in an isolated flat urban area with a sign or plaque in Polish mentioning Jews. Reached by turning directly off a public road and open to all, size of the cemetery is 0.36 hectares. Fewer than 20 gravestones remain, 75% toppled or broken and none in original locations. The 19th and 20th century finely smoothed and inscribed sandstone or concrete tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. There are also unmarked mass graves. The owner of the property, which currently has no other use, is unknown. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII and occasionally since. It has not been maintained and rarely has private visitors. Three remaining gravestones are lying flat on the ground, subject to weather erosion and vegetation overgrowth. Security is a moderate threat, while vandalism and pollution are slight threats.
Piotr Antenia, ul Dabra 5 m 36, 05-800 completed survey on 10 September 1992, after a site visit on 1 September 1992 (see Baligrod for surveyor details)