Alternate names: Bolimów [Pol], Bolimov [Yid], Bolimuv [Rus], Russian: Болимув. 52°05' N, 20°10' E, 37 miles WSW of Warszawa, 10 miles ESE of Łowicz, 8 miles N of Skierniewice. 1900 Jewish population: 339. Yizkor: Lowicz; ir be-Mazovia u-seviva, sefer zikaron, (Tel Aviv, 1966).Bolimów is a village in Skierniewice County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland and seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Bolimów about 9 mi N of Skierniewice and 36 mi NE of the regional capital Łódź with a population of 930. Dating from at least the 15th century, it lost its city rights around 1870. This was the first place poison gas weapons ever were used during WWI (January 31, 1915); during the Battle of Bolimov, the German army shelled Russian army positions with xylyl bromide. Gmina Bolimów contains the villages and settlements of Bolimów, Bolimowska Wieś, Humin, Humin-Dobra Ziemskie, Jasionna, Joachimów-Mogiły, Józefów, Kęszyce-Wieś, Kolonia Bolimowska-Wieś, Kolonia Wola Szydłowiecka, Kurabka, Łasieczniki, Nowe Kęszyce, Podsokołów, Sierzchów, Sokołów, Wola Szydłowiecka, Wólka Łasiecka, Ziąbki and Ziemiary. old photos of the town. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: The 3200m² cemetery on Cmentarna Street was established in the 19th century. Five broken matzevot remain in the cemetery closed in 1967. photos of cemetery with text in Polish. photos. [April 2009]
US Comm.No. POCE0000215
Cemetery address: E side of settlement. 1991 town population was under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1773. 1921 Jewish population was 259. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established about mid-19th century with last known Jewish burial in 1945. The cemetery is landmarked as "Rejestr cemetery Zydowskich Unedu d,s, Wyrnan 1981." The flat, rural cemetery, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public property: "bocrna droga polna", access is open to all via a rampart (dyke) with no wall, fence, or gate. The.3 ha size is the same size as pre WWII. 1-20 stones are visible in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken. The 19th-century granite rough stones/boulders or flat, shaped stones have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contained an unmarked mass grave. The municipality owns the site only as a cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Pawet Fijatkowski, 96-500, Sochacrew, ulica Ziemowila 11, tel. 227-91 visited the site 10/1990 and completed the survey on June 26, 1991 using "Wtashe archiw...fotographicine" (a photo archive???) as documentation.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2009 17:21|