|BODZANOW: Plock Masovian|
Bodzanów is a village in Płock County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland and the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Bodzanów. The village has a population of 1,300.Gmina Bodzanów is a rural gmina (administrative district) in Płock County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland. Its seat is the village of Bodzanów with 2006 population of 8,372 including villages and settlements of Archutówko, Archutowo, Białobrzegi, Bodzanów, Borowice, Chodkowo, Chodkowo-Działki, Cieśle, Cybulin, Felicjanów, Garwacz, Gąsewo, Gromice, Kanigowo, Karwowo Duchowne, Kępa Polska, Kłaczkowo, Krawieczyn, Łagiewniki, Leksyn, Łętowo, Mąkolin, Małoszewo, Małoszywka, Miszewko Garwackie, Miszewo Murowane, Niesłuchowo, Nowe Kanigowo, Nowe Miszewo, Nowy Reczyn, Osmolinek, Parkoczewo, Pepłowo, Ramutówko, Reczyn, Stanowo and Wiciejewo. Jewish settlement began in late 18th century with 64 Jews (38,3%) in 1808. Ghetto: 1940 to early 1941 with about 1,300 people who were resettled in the Nowy Dwor ghetto. Most probably died in Auschwitz in December 1942. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery located on Mickiewicza ulica was founded in the early 19th century with no gravestones visible. Well-kept and partially fenced, local community in cooperation with the Foundation erected a monument to Bodzanow Jews in 2004. The cemetery area is 0.23 ha. Cemetery photos with text in Polish. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000613
Bodzanow is in region Plock at 52°31 20°2, 23 km from Plock and 73 km from Warszawa. Cemetery: Ulica Mickiewicza. 1990 population: 1,000 to 5,000 with no Jews.
The Orthodox Jewish community dates from around 1830 with 80 Jews in 1921. The cemetery was established possibly in the first half of the 19th century. The last known burial was between 1939 and 1945. The isolated, suburban hillside with no sign or marker is reached directly off a public road. Open to all, a broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds the 0.2 ha site, unchanged from before WWII. No stones are visible. The municipality owns the site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Surrounding property is agricultural and residential. Local and private visitors occasionally visit.
Pawel Fitalkowski, 96-500, Sochadzew, ulica Ziemowitz 11, tel. 227-91 completed survey on Nov. 27, 1991 using Official Register of Jewish Cemeteries, 1981. Fijlkowski [sic] visited the site on May 6, 1990.