Alternate names: Błędów [Pol], Blendov [Yid], Blenduv, Bledov, בלנדוב-Hebrew. 51°47' N, 20°42' E, 6 miles NNW of Mogielnica, 9 miles SW of Grójec.
CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery on Nowy Swiat Stree was established in the 19th century. No gravestones remain. The cemetery area is 1.5 ha. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000064
Cemetery: Nowy Swiat Street. 1991 town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 19th /20th century. In 1921, there were 815 Jews, (43.4%). The locked landmarked cemetery was established in 19th century. The last known Conservative burial was the 1942 (?).The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is available to all with a key to a continuous fence with locking gate. The current size is 1500 sq. m. No stones are left. It contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and waste dump. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin, local, municipal, regional, or national authorities cleared vegetation, fixed wall, and fixed gate in the last ten years. There is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation and planned or proposed incompatible development are threats to this waste dump. Vandalism is a moderate threat. Weather erosion, pollution, and existing development are slight threats.
Adam Penkalla,deceasedm completed survey on August 1, 1991. Penkalla visited the site on August 28, 1991 (date). No interviews.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 04 December 2012 14:42|