You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland BISZTYNEK: Olsztynskie
BISZTYNEK: Olsztynskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Bisztynek Alternate names: Bisztynek, Bischofstein [Ger], Vanagėnai [Lith]. 54°05' N 20°55' E, 126.9 miles N of Warszawa, 67 km. from Olszty.  Town in Bartoszyce County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, with 2,555 inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Bisztynek: The administrative seat is the town of Bisztynek. The 2006 total population is 6,749 (of which Bisztynek is 2,493. Gmina Bisztynek contains the villages and settlements of Biegonity, Bisztynek-Kolonia, Dąbrowa, Grzęda, Janowiec, Kokoszewo, Krzewina, Księżno, Łabławki, Lądek, Łędławki, Mołdyty, Niski Młyn, Nisko, Nowa Wieś Reszelska, Paluzy, Pleśnik, Pleśno, Prosity, Sątopy, Sułowo, Swędrówka, Troksy, Troszkowo, Unikowo, Warmiany, Winiec, Wojkowo and Wozławki. [April 2009]

CEMETERY: The cemetery established in 1821 has no matzevot. The area is 0,1 h. [April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000264

Cemetery: at W edge of town close to the pre-war one-family housing area. 1992 town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miastai Gminy, Bisztynek.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodzki Olsztyn, Wydzial Gospodarki Terenowej, ulica Pilsudskiego 7/9, tel. 232-276 and Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, Oddzial w Olsztynie ulica Podwale 1, 10-076 Olsztyn, tel. 27-21-36. mgr. Inz Elzbieta Szyguta-Zielinska, ulica Switezianki 6/3, 10-435 Olsztyn tel. 33-29-22 and Urzad Wojewodzki, Wydzial Gospodarki Terenowej, tel. 232-276.
  • Interested: mgr. Wiktor Knerer, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, Oddzial w Olsztynie, ulica Podwale, tel 27.21.36.

The earliest known Jewish community is 1812. In 1933, there were 16 Jews. The Progressive/Reform cemetery was established in 1821. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The last known burial was the late 1937. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. Before WWII and now, size is about 0.10 ha, possibly reduced from pre-WWII by a housing development. No stones or known mass graves exist. The municipality owns the property used for recreation. Adjacent property is residential. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or care. No threats listed.

Viktor Knerer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ulica Barcza 33m16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in Jan 1992 after a visit to the site.

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution