Alternate names: Biskupiec [Pol], Bischofsburg [Ger]. 53°52' N, 20°58' E, 62 miles SSE of Kaliningrad (Königsberg), 21 miles ENE of Olsztyn (Allenstein).Seat of Landkreis Rößel, E Prussia. Jewish population: 134 in 1871 and 79 in 1905. From 1862 until 1945, known as Bischofsburg, this town was 50% destroyed during WWII. In 1945, the town was transferred along with the southern part of East Prussia to Poland, the name changed to Polish Biskupiec. The surrounding countryside is popular for its many lakes. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: The cemetery in Biskupiec is located on Boleslawa Chrobrego Street. Established in the 18th century, it was completely destroyed during WWII. No gravestones (or parts) remain. The cemetery area is 0.131ha. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000265
Cemetery location: by the road to Reszel, behind the railroad crossing/Dzierzynskiegs St. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. In 1905, there possibly were 54 Orthodox (Hasidic) and Progressive/Reform Jews. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The last known burial was the late 1930s. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or fence or gate. The size before WWI and now is 0.10 hectares. No stones are left. It contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for residential and commercial/ industrial purposes. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security is a moderate threat and vandalism only slight.
Viktor Knerer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ulica Barcza 33m16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in September 1991 after visiting site in 1990. Documentation: Statistisches Handbuch fur die Provinz Ostprensen, 1938 and Frederichs Deutsches Stadthesbuch, Stuttgart, 1938. Staff of the municipality was interviewed for this survey.