Alternate names: Bieżuń [Pol], Bizun [Yid], Byezhun' [Rus], Bezoyn, Russian: Бежунь. ביעז'ון-Hebrew. 52°58' N, 19°55' E, 12 miles ENE of Sierpc, 30 miles NNE of Płock (Plotsk), 13 km. from Zuromin, 22 km. from Sierpc, and 23 km from Mlawa and in Żuromin County, Masovian Voivodeship with 1,903 inhabitants in 2004. Yizkor: Sefer ha-zikaron le-kedoshei Biezun, (Tel Aviv, 1956). Jewish settlement in Bieżuniu dates from the beginning of the 18th century. In 1733, a Jew named Berek, Michal Zamoyski lived in the village. 172 Jews lived there in 1764 with their number increasing steadily the next decades remaining at an average of 30% of the total population. In 1776, a synagogue existed. "In 1808, 389 Jews lived in there in 1801; 725 in 1827; and 697 in 1857. The large increase was due to migration by Jews expelled from Mlawa and movement of Jews from small villages. In 1822, a Jewish community was legalized.Although plans for a new synagogue started in 1835, construction was completed from 1873 to 1902. The synagogue also had a beit midrash. Both buildings still exist. At least one Chassidic house of prayer existed.In 1841 came the influence of Cylkow Isaac ben Moses Aron Cylkowa, later a teacher at the Warsaw Yeshiva. Cylkow was associated with the Haskallah. Cylkow translated the bible into Polish Hebrew. During WWI, the Russian authorities exiled the Jews for suspected espionage and encouraging the Germans, but they soon returned to their homes. 1921 census: 779 Jews. Zionism was strongly supported here. During WWII, Jews were deported from Bieżunia in several groups with Mlawa, Szreńsk and Strzegów. Most later were murdered in Auschwitz and Treblinka.
CEMETERY: The 0.7 ha cemetery is located SE of the market (current ul. Leśnej. Its location can be found on 1935 military map of Raciąż surroundings. The establishment dates is unknown, either the late 18th or early 19th century. The Germans devastated the cemetery during WWII, using the gravestones for street construction leaving not one. The fence is gone. A few matzevot fragments are held in the Museum of Bieżuniu with an exhibition of the Torah scroll and menorah. In 2004 an agreement with Biezun officials stated that the Biezun administration will care for the cemetery by fencing, cleaning, and returning the matzevot that remain elsewhere. (Two are kept by Biezun Museum). photos [April 2009].
US Commission No. POCE000382
Located on Lesna Str. 1991 town population: 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was in 1767. 1921 Jewish population was 779. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 19th century with last known Jewish burial in 1940. The Jewish community was Orthodox, Sephardic, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Size of cemetery before WWII was 2.0 hectares, now 1.0 hectares. No stones are visible. Two stones taken from the cemetery are in the Muzeum Biezun; and one stone is in the private collection of Ignacy Koteczko, 09-320 Bezun, Lesna 30. The 19th-20th century granite and sandstone flat shaped stone, finely smooth and inscribed stone and flat stone with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and/or Yiddish inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for closed Jewish cemetery and waste dump. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery size is smaller than in 1939 because of new roads and housing development. Rarely, private visitors and local residents. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII. No maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The cemetery's intersection with Lesna Street is a serious threat. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII.
Wojciech Henrykowski, 06-200 Makow Mazowiecki, ulica Spoldzielcza 20 completed survey on 3 October 1991. Documentation: scientific documentation of Biezun and information on the Jewish cemeteries in the voievodship of Ciechanow, 1990. Henrykowski visited the site and conducted interviews with the employees of the communal office in Biezun on 3 October 1991.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 April 2009 17:13|