Alternate names: Belgard [Ger], Białogard, Białogrod. 54°00' N 16°00' E, 239.7 miles WNW of Warszawa and 22 km from Koszalin. A town in Middle Pomerania, NW Poland with 24,399 inhabitants in 2004, this capital of Białogard County in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999 was in Koszalin Voivodeship (1950-1998). The most important railroad junction in Middle Pomerania, two major lines (Kołobrzeg - Piła and Gdańsk - Stargard Szczeciński) cross the town. During WWII, the Red Army occupied the town on March 4, 1945, but Belgard (Białogard) became Polish with its German population expelled and the town was populated with Poles, many expelled from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union. Białogard, first in Szczecin Voivodeship and later assigned to Koszalin Voivodeship, the city now is located in West Pomeranian Voivodeship. town website in English. [March 2009]
CEMETERY: US Commission No. POCE000329
Cemetery location: ulica Polczynska. Present town population is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community dates from the 18th century. The unlandmarked, isolated, suburban flat land has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with no walls, fences or gates. The size of the Progressive/Reform cemetery was and is about 0.28 hectares. No gravestones are visible. The location of removed stones is unknown. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential properties. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized prior to World War II. There is no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. inz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ulica Soltysia 3/13. tel. 377-41 completed survey on August 30, 1991.