Alternate names: Będków [Pol], Bendkov [Yid], Bendkuv [Rus], Russian: Бендкув. בנדקוב-Hebrew. 51°35' N, 19°45' E, 17 miles SE of Łódź, 13 miles NNE of Piotrków Trybunalski. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). [March 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000659
Other Names: [Polish: Bedków], Region of Poland: Piotrkowskie. Location: 51°35 19°45. 23 km from Piotrkow; 22 km from Tomaszow. The cemetery is located SE of town in a forest. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 228 or 32.8%. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in probably 2nd half of 19th century. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked isolated wooded flat land with no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds the cemetery. The pre- and post-WWII size is 0.15 ha hectares. There are no stones, structures, or known mass graves. Municipality owns site. Properties adjacent are forest. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21m.1, 02-567 Warszawa, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 9 Nov 1991. Site not visited.
- Town: Urzad Gminy; tel. 68.
- Regional: region Konserwator Zabytkow Piotrkow, ulica Armii Czerwonej 29; tel. 5646.
Last Updated on Sunday, 12 April 2009 14:05