Alternate names: Bakałarzewo [Pol], Baklerove [Yid], Bakalazhevo [Rus], Baklerava, Baklrovo, Russian: Бакалажево. באקלעראווע-Yiddish. 54°06' N, 22°39' E, 12 miles W of Suwałki, and is included in Yisker Bukh Suvalk. Yizkors: Yisker Bukh Suvalk (New York, 1961) and Sefer kehilat Suvalk u-benotehah (Tel Aviv, 1989). 1921 Jewish population: 141. [March 2009]
CEMETERY: photos. [March 2009]
BAKALARZEWO: AS 103
Cemetery location: S edge of the village near the lake Sumowo. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community dates from the second half of the 18th century. In 1927, there were 212 Jews. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 4th quarter of 18th century. No other towns or villages used this cemetery, landmarked number: Nr rej.zabytkow regionsuwalskiego-741, decyzja K1.WK2 534/741/d/89 z, 27.11.1989 (November 11, 1989). The isolated rural site by water has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no walls, fences, or gates. The pre- and post-WWII size is about 0. 9 hectares. 20-100 gravestones date from the 19th and 20th centuries with about 1-20 in original locations and less than 25% toppled or broken. The location of removed stones is unknown. The granite and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decorations, or sculpted monuments have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The regional or national government agency owns the property used for animal grazing. Adjacent properties are agricultural and a lake. Occasionally, Jewish and non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: vegetation. Dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki, ulica 1 Maja 27a/47, tel. [Home] 663756, tel.sl. [Office] 663741 completed survey on September 22, 1994.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 12 April 2009 12:37|