Alternate names: Annopol [Pol], Anapol [Yid], Annopol (Lublin), Annopol-Rachów, Rachów-Annopol. אננופול-Hebrew. 50°53' N, 21°51' E, on the Vistula (Wisła) River, 40 miles SW of Lublin, 27 miles WNW of Janów Lubelski, 17 miles W of Kraśnik. 1900 Jewish population: 575. 1921 Jewish population: 1251 (73%). Ghetto: to Oct. 1942 with about 2000 imprisoned, some from Kalisz and Lodz. They were transferred to the Krasnik ghetto. Yizkor Rachov-Annopol; pirkei edut ve-zikaron. (Israel, 1978) The first Jews settled in Annopol in the early seventeenth century. 1764 Jewish population: 136 in the village and 37 in nearby. 1787 Jewish popuation: 106 (44%). The nineteenth century saw development of the local Jewish community. Annopol became major yeshivah with rabbis like the family Rubinstein: Nachman Rubinstein (1828-1878), Elimelech Rubinstein (1878-1923) and Baruch Rubinstein Nachman. Two wooden synagogues functioned. Jewish popuation: 575 in 1897 a nd 1,251 in 1921 (9%). After the Nazi occupation, a ghetto and painful repression began. In May 1942, the ghetto with 1,943 people included many Jews from other towns. In October 1942,about four hundred people went to forced labor camps in Gościeradowie and Janiszowie. On October 15, 1942 were deported to the ghetto in Krasnik from which they were sent to the Belzec gas chambers in November. photos [March 2009]
ANNOPOL I: US Commission No. POCE000089. The US Commission needs to recheck this file.
NEW Cemetery: location: Nowy Radomska Street. Twelve or twenty gravestones are visible. Cemetery was established in 19th century. There is also a memorial statue and the area is fenced. Established in a relatively small distance from the previous cemetery, (currently ul. Radomskiej), outside the city between buildings and ul. Bóżniczej Rakhiv zagajnikiem property was vandalized during WWII and devastated afterward. Restoration work inludes fencing. On the gate is a modest monument dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust. On the brick pillar the plaque says: "To honor men, women and children murdered by the German murderers during the Second World War." Among the grass are a few fragments of their gravestones. Source with photos [March 2009]
ANNOPOL II: US Commission No. POCE000090. The US Commission needs to recheck this file.
OLD Jewish cemetery in Annopol was located on Swieciechowska St. Besides the site itself, no trace is left because a hospital was built on the site. No Holocaust memorial was erected. Located in the vicinity of the synagogue on the present ul. Świeciechowskiej, this cemetery existed from 1792 until the authorities in the interest of health, ordered the transfer of all the cemeteries outside the city. As a result of damage no tombstones remain. Source with photos [March 2009]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 25 April 2009 23:23|