You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland ALEKSANDROW KUJAWSKI: Włocławskie
ALEKSANDROW KUJAWSKI: Włocławskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Aleksandrów Kujawski [Pol], Aleksandrów [Pol, 1879-1919], Trojanów [Pol, until 1879], Aleksandrowo, Aleksandrów Podgraniczny, Weichselstädt [Ger, 1943-45], Russian: Александрув-Куявски. Formerly in Warsaw woj., 52°52' N, 18°42' E, 9 miles WNW of Nieszawa, 12 miles SSE of Toruń. In the 17th century, Jewish community was at Słuzewo but became an independent community in the 19th century. 1900 Jewish population: 286. 1921 Jewish population was 977 (11.9%). Ghetto was liquidated in July [?] 1942. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), I, p. 28: "Aleksandowo" #1.  Area history with photos. photo from Holocaust. [March 2009]

CEMETERY: The late 18th century cemetery is located in Słuzewo village. No gravestones are visible. No Holocaust memorial was erected. cemetery description and photos: Jews began to settle in the 1860s. Originally part of Jewish Służewie, they formed their own independent kahał and built a synagogue. The Jewish population dealt mainly in trade and crafts lie tailoring and because of the proximity to the border, some Jews were smugglers. The largest concentration of Jewish homes were on ul. Długiej, ul. Słowackiego, and ul. Piłsudskiego. 1897 Jewish population: 286; in 1921, 977; and in 1935, 11,000 (10%). After the Nazi occupation of the city, persecution of local Jews with looting and rape commenced. On September 10, 1939, the synagogue was destroyed. By the end of 1939, many Jews were gone to Warsaw, Grojec, Sokołów Podlaski, and Łyszkowice Bełchatów. About 500 Jews remained in forced labor at road construction to Ciechocinek. Jews were deported to ghettos gradually. In 1942, the last group of Jews probably went to the extermination camp at Chelmno nad Nerem. The Jewish Cemetery probably was established at the end of the nineteenth century, east of the city the current on ul. Parkowej along with the local religious community. The necropolis was established  at present. During WWII the Nazis ordered the cemetery destroyed; and the gravestones used to build road. Several years ago during the expansion of the road, a few meters were taken off the slope. Bones probably were taken to the Torun UMK, but employees of the institution do not confirm this. map. Source with photos [April 2009]

Last Updated on Saturday, 25 April 2009 23:22
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution