You are here: Home United States Pennsylvania PA PHILADELPHIA I-Mi: Philadelphia County
PHILADELPHIA I-Mi: Philadelphia County PDF Print E-mail
  • Keneseth Israel Cemetery:
  • Described by Charles Barker (3a) HSP [Ph20A.2-page 21] Congregation: The Reformed Congregation of Keneseth Israel, today, is located at Old York & Township Line Rds, Elkins Park 19027 (215) 887-8700. They maintain their own Archives. (4) Sr. Rabbi Simeon J. Masllin; Asst. Rabbi Joel Alpert, Asst. Rabbi Joseph M. Forman, Cantor Richard Allen, Pres Steven A. Arbitter, Exec Adm., Wm. Fersenfeld.
  • Kensington/Port Richmond: (1b, 1c) also see Rodeph Shalom
    Former Location: Old Front Street (1b); H & Venango Streets (1c) Philadelphia County. (Includes moved remains: {10920}. These graves were re-interred at Haym Salomon according to Ed Blatt of Haym Salomon Memorial Park.) Source: Aaron Roetenberg; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ">
    Joan Gross, JGSP, is doing extensive research on her ancestral congregations, Bnai Israel and Chevra Thillim and the area called "Jewtown" or Little Jerusalem in Port Richmond. She writes that Belvue Cemetery (non-Jewish) had a section consecrated by Jewish law for members of Chevra Bnai Israel Shul (Tulip & Auburn Streets) in what was called Jerusalem of Philadelphia or "Jewtown. Following a fire, the remains were removed to another cemetery, Haym Salomon Cemetery.
    Jewish Burial Organizations with ground at Belvue Cemetery in 1900/1901 (AJYB) are
    1) Congregation Ahavas Achim Anse Nazin Nusach Hoarie founded 8/24/1887 (1a, p.426) E-mail: HSP
    2) Cong. B'nai Israel, Tulip & William founded 1877 (1a, p.429) HSP
    3) United Brothers Beneficial Assn, Brith Achim founded 5/30/1889 (1a,p.446). Records: HSP
    microfilm [XR-486:1-8].
    See Card Catalog HSP [XR:486:2] for Jewish grave lot locations. Ed Blatt of Haym Solomon Memorial Park informed Joan Gross remains were reinterred on November 8th, 1954.The cemetery was destroyed about 1954.The Jewish graves, in the separate consecrated area belonging to Chevra Bnai Israel, were reinterred at Haym Solomon. There are no markers; the Belvue Cemetery reinterment section is under perpetual care."
  • King David Memorial Park:
    (11,20) (formerly Evergreen Memorial Park) Located at 3594 Bristol Road, Bensalem, PA 19120; Bucks County (Ben Salem Township); (215)-464-4747; Office hours: 9-4 p.m. M-F, 9-2 Sunday, no gates. Contact: Jack Livezy or any member of his family (owners). Cemetery map is available at the office.
    Directions: Roosevelt Boulevard to Neshaminy Mall Exit. At bottom of ramp turn right. Follow to end (Neshaminy Blvd). Turn left onto Neshaminy Blvd. Continue to 1st light (Briston Rd). Make sharp right turn into cemetery. From Center City, take Route I-95 North to Street Rd (PA Route 132). At top of ramp, turn left onto Street Rd (PA Route 132 West). Continue to U.S. Route 1 North and follow directions above. Opened 1953 as part of Evergreen Memorial Park, the cemetery was renamed King David Cemetery.
  • Krakauer Beth Elohim: see Mount Carmel.
  • Lafayette Cemetery:
    Non-sectarian cemetery at 10th & Federal Streets, Philadelphia. [Do not confuse the name "Lafayette" with the section of land owned by Brith Achim in the MT LEBANON CEMETERY on Lafayette Avenue and Bartram Road].
    Based on a telephone interview with Jack Livezy, owner of King David Memorial Park, a clerk at the Rosedale Memorial Park and a librarian at the Levittown Currier Times: The Lafayette Cemetery moved all of its remains to a cemetery in Trevose, Bucks County called Evergreen Memorial Park. Evergreen split into two separate cemeteries. King David Memorial Park is Jewish while Rosedale Memorial Park is non-sectarian. Rosedale is listed in the classified yellow pages as Trevose Road and Oakford Rd (Oakford Rd is off Richlieu Road) in Ben Salem, (215) 357 0308. Adjacent to Rosedale Memorial Park is an independent section called Lafayette, which represents the remains that were removed from the original Lafayette Cemetery in downtown Philadelphia. The clerk mentioned that access to Lafayette is through a Board of Directors. The Historical Society of Philadelphia has records for Lafayette Cemetery, listed in the unpublished card catalog under "Cemetery-Lafayette," [Ph/45A:1-5]. HSP also has author, Edwin S. Dunkerly (7, p175) who addresses Lafayette.
    Articles: Jack Livezy referred to Adam Bell as the reporter who did a series of articles on the Lafayette Cemetery for the Levittown, Pennsylvania Currier Times newspaper, (215) 949-4000. The private library collection of the Currier Times is on microfilm at Bucks County Community College Library, Newtown PA; and at the Grundy Free Public Library in Bristol on Radcliffe Street near the Delaware River. In 1988, no fewer than 27 articles were written on Lafayette, with more in 1990 and 1991. One article read that "47,000 bodies were abandoned in 1946 from the 107 year-old cemetery, which was originally located at 10th & Wharton Streets, Philadelphia County, until Sept 12, 1946." The librarian at Currier Times is Susan Ditterline. Other newspapers picked up on the story: The Philadelphia Bulletin, and The Philadelphia Inquirer .
  • Locustwood Cemetery:
    see Cherry Hill, New Jersey; cemetery used by Philadelphians
  • Mikveh Israel Cemetery a.k.a. Spruce Street Cemetery (http://www.nps.gov/inde/mikveh.html ). Source of names: Aaron Roetenberg; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
    For 1st location (11, 20, 19, 17) [see also AJA]. aka Spruce Street Cemetery** (19, p.200). Historical site official name is Kaal Kadosh Mickveh Israel "Holy Congregation Hope of Israel" (19,202). Located at 8th and Spruce Street, the hours are Monday through Friday. Call 215-922-5446 to make an appointment through Sarah Goldberg and/or Martin Yoelson, Archivist (Wednesdays). Burials date from 1740-1848.
    The American Jewish Historical Society has hand drawn map of Jewish burial ground on Spruce Street in Philadelphia, prepared by John Lukeson, Surveyor General 1765) (2, p41, A62). The American Jewish Committee (165 East 56th Street, NY, NY 10022) has the following:
    Congregation Mikveh Israel local papers: microfilm #3003,
    Records of interrments in Spruce St. Cemetery 1753-1886 (2, p43, 166)
    Records of deaths 1776-1909 manuscript and printed box 897 (2, p42, A64)
    Hebra Koddisha 1782-1936, p43 (2, p43, A72)
    HSP has the following:
    card catalog citation for: Elmaleh, L.H. Rev. and J. Bunford Samuel, compilers, "The Jewish Cemetery, 9th & Spruce Street,"
    Phila PA tombstone inscriptions [Ph76A] and [Z26]
    Barker describes 3 locations. [Ph20A.2-page 23]
    Morais describes it (19, p202, 203); HSP microfilm [#XCh\493:1 & 2]
    An out-of-print booklet, Mikveh Israel Cemetery 1740-1848 , includes history of plots and number layout of graves with names; an alphabetical listing of burials with location, age, date, and notes; and a breakdown of adults and children. If you go to Mikveh Israel Synagogue, make an appointment with Martin Yoelson, who may permit you to look through this book with a cemetery map. Sephardic synagogue Kaal Kadosh Mikveh Israel, still active, is located at Independence Mall East, 44 North Fourth Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106; 215-922-5446. The congregation was founded 1738 and incorporated 1824. See Morais who describes it (19, p203) In the JGSP newsletter, Chronicles (Summer 1990, Vol IX, No II, p.2), Philip Nathans Steel, whose ancestor's remains are at Mikveh Israel, lists reference books to read for background on early American Jewry. Additional information can be found in Chronicles (Summer, 1994, vol 13, no 2, cover). Sons of the Revolution decorate the graves of Revolutionary War ancestors in this 3-acre site, locked at all times and protected by high wall.
    BOOKS:
    Mikveh Israel "Spruce Street Cemetery" compiled by L.H. Elmaleh and J. Bunford Samuel; Rev. and enlarged by Leon H. Elmaleh. Published: (Philadelphia : Congregation Mikveh Israel, 1962. Call Number: Smathers Judaica F158.9.J5 J481 1962 30 pages; 1754 -1886 some short biographies.
    Listed in Tagger, Mathilde. Printed Books on Jewish cemeteries in the Jewish National and University Library in Jerusalem: an annotated bibliography" . Jerusalem: The Israel Genealogical Society, 1997.
    Postal & Koppman Jewish Tourist's Guide to U.S. Phila., PA: Jewish Publ. Soc., 1954 P.546, 552-553"]
  • Mikveh Israel II (2nd location):
    (2, 11, 20) Address: 1114 Federal Street (11th & Federal), Philadelphia County, PA but listed as Federal between 11th & 12th (1a, p 439). Ground purchased 1841 and opened circa 1842 circa, this is still an active cemetery. Contact: Sarah Goldberg, Mikveh Israel Synagogue Office, Independence Mall East, 44 N 4th St, Phila, PA 19106; (215) 922-5446. Described by Morais (19, p.203).
    See also see HSP [Ph20 A. 2-page 25]. This cemetery was restored (1996) through a grant. Records: "Federal Street Cem." HSP [Gen/Z26; Ph/76A; Xch/493: 1 & 2]
  • Mikveh Israel-Beth El Emeth Cemetery III (3rd location): a.k.a. Beth El Emeth
    (1b, 1c, 11, 20) "House of the God of Truth" (19, p 105); a.k.a. Beth El Emeth (19, p. 204, 11, 20, 1c) at 55th & Market Streets (1a, p439) (West) Philadelphia County, PA (1c); Morais (19,204). Source: Len Markowitz, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it (1c, p 555). This cemetery should not be confused with Beth Israel Cemetery at 5th & Federal. The Beth El Emeth Cemetery remained in West Philadelphia after the sale of the Beth El Emeth Congregation synagogue on the east side Franklin Street above Green. The cemetery opened in 1850 and was dedicated in 1857. (19, p 105-7) See above, 1st Mikveh Israel location, for contact information.
    The Beth El-Beth Emeth (Beth El Emeth) cemetery was turned over to Mikveh Israel in 1895. (A31, p 38 in Center for Am. Jewish History) and 1990. 1896 Beth El Emeth Cemetery records are described in newsletter, "Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center at the Balch Institute News", no. 29, Spring 1990 under processed collections, page 5. Synagogue was also known as the Franklin Street Synagogue. Morais describes the synagogue (19, p 104-107). Rabbi Lesser founded Beth El Beth Emet Congregation. (19, p 105). See HSP [Ph 20A. 4-page 120] "Jewish Burial Organizations with ground at Mickve Israel-Beth El Emeth Cem 1900/1901".
    Chevre Chesed Shel Emeth was founded in 1874 (1a, p.429). After the congregation's demise, it was taken over by Congregation Mikveh Israel in 1895, who commissioned the surveys. The later survey n.d. indicated changes in some grave sites." It is listed below under Mikveh Israel Cemetery (3d location), 55th & Market Streets. Source: PJAC: http://www.jewisharchives.net/

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 14 July 2011 11:57
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution