|MOUNT CARMEL: Northumberland County|
Names and addresses of local funeral homes: C.J. Lucas, 27 North Vine St., (570)339-4110; Ray Rothermel, 120 South Market St., (570)339-4960; and Joseph Stutz (formerly Higgins), 40 South Market St, (570)339-4300. Local monument maker: Fantini Monument 7th & Oak St. Mount Carmel, Pa 17851 (570) 339-2175
To open a gravesite: Tom Smith at (570)373-1414 or (570)373-3131. Other towns/villages that use/d this cemetery are Ashland, Kupmont, Shamokin, Pottsville, and Frackville. The congregation that used this cemetery was now defunct Tifereth Israel Synagogue, Mount Carmel, PA. Flower Policy: not permitted. The cemetery is land-marked and has a caretaker. The cemetery was established 16 Jan 1908 and is active. The Jewish community that uses this cemetery is Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform.
The suburban, hillside location is separate but near other cemeteries. Marking the site is sign in English reads "Tifereth Israel." The cemetery is reached by turning directly off route 2023, a public road within 1/2 mile from Mount Carmel. Access is open to all. The gate is unlocked. Current size is .51 acres (22,500 sq. ft.) Date of oldest gravestone: 1912. 100-500 gravestones are in cemetery in original location, none toppled or broken. The marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and slate tombstones and memorial markers are flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, and horizontally set stones. Inscriptions are in English and Hebrew.
[UPDATE] History, cemetery map, list of gravesites, and directions to Tfereth Israel cemetery [January 2017]
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 January 2017 04:28|