|EASTON: Northampton County|
(together with Allentown & Bethlehem) is in the PA area known as The Lehigh Valley. Information supplied by Bea Cohen.
Bnai Abraham Synagogue Cemetery 1: (Conservative) at East Kleinhans Street, on the north side of Kleinhans St. between Frederick and Diamonds Streets. There is no sign, but it is the only cemetery there. Established in 1889, the cemetery is still active. Bnai Abraham Synagogue, 16th & Bushkill Streets, Easton, PA 18042 (215) 258-5343. Cemetery Committee Chair: Herman Ytkin, 2321 Woodridge Terrace, Easton, PA 18042 (215) 253-8251. The cemetery with about 300 graves is always open, but gates are difficult to unlatch.
Bnai Abraham Synagogue Cemetery 2: (Conservative) on Arndt Road just off Bushkill Drive in Forks Township, next to Arndt's Church. There is a large sign on the entrance gate. Established in 1945, the still active cemetery is always open with about 250 graves. Bnai Abraham Synagogue, 16th & Bushkill Streets, Easton, PA 18042. Office: (215) 258-5343. Cemetery Committee Chair: Herman Ytkin, 2321 Woodridge Terrace, Easton, PA 18042 (215) 253-8251; Plots still are being sold by the Cemetery Committee. Children of Abraham: Source: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States" pp. 330-583 in American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21, edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld. [This might be Bnai Abraham according to Arline Sachs.]
Congregation Children of Israel Cemetery: (Orthodox) Located on Arndt Road at intersection with Bushkill Drive in Forks Township, the cemetery with about eighty graves is surrounded by a locked, cast iron fence. Established around 1930 by a small group that broke away from Bnai Abraham Synagogue and formed Congregation Children of Israel. The Congregation disbanded, but the cemetery association remains active. Contact Person: Sidney Golden, Secretary Congregation Children of Israel Cemetery Association 828 Balata Street, Easton, PA 18042 (215) 252-2283; Days/Hours Available for Visitors: By appointment only. 120 grave sites now available to anyone wishing to be buried in the Orthodox manner.
Easton Cemetery: Jewish cemetery history in Easton starts with the South 6th Street Cemetery ("Hart Family Burying Ground") established by Michael Hart on a plot of ground acquired from the heirs of William Penn in the 18th century. This cemetery was transferred to Congregation Brith Sholom (now Temple Covenant of Peace) after its establishment in 1839. In 1850, Congregation Brith Sholom developed a cemetery at 14th Street between Washington and Butler Streets. On March 15, 1853, Congregation Emanuel, a breakaway group, purchased a small plot in Easton Cemetery. This plot was turned over to Congregation Brith Sholom in 1854 when Congregation Emanuel disbanded, its members returning to the fold. Thus, Congregation Brith Sholom owned three cemetery sites in 1888.
With permission of the County Court, the 6th St. Cemetery was sold in 1888 and the bodies removed to the Washington-Butler Street site. In 1889, the Congregation entered into an agreement with the Easton Cemetery Company providing that a section of its ground be set aside permanently for the exclusive use of the Congregation. The vacant space at the Washington-Butler Street Cemetery was sold in 1900. In 1924, the congregation consolidated its graves onto a single site when stones from the balance of the Washington-Butler Street site were removed to Easton Cemetery. Not all of the tombstones survived the consolidation process and their information is lost forever.
Northwest Jersey Jewish Community Center (NJJCC) Section: (Reformed). 401 North 7th Street, Easton, PA 18042 with entrance at intersection of North 7th and Jackson Streets. The cemetery office located at entrance gate. Take the left fork just inside the entrance gate to reach NJJCC Section located opposite Temple Covenant of Peace's Section Z. The section was set aside for the exclusive use of NJJCC members in 1950. Contact Person: Easton Cemetery Company, 401 North 7th St., Easton, PA 18042, Wayne Unangst, Mgr. (215) 252-1741; Northwest Jersey Jewish Community Center, Youmans Ave., Washington, NJ 07882; (909) 689-0769. Cemetery Committee Member: Max "Mattie" Snyder (908) 689-0398. Cemetery is open every day during daylight hours. Cemetery Office is open Mon.-Fri., 9-5. Used by Northwest Jersey Jewish Community Center, Youmans Ave. Washington, NJ 07882; About 30 sites used; Plots still being sold by Easton Cemetery Company with approval of Synagogue.
Temple Covenant of Peace Section Z: (Reformed) at 401 North 7th Street, Easton, PA 18042. Entrance is at intersection of North 7th and Jackson Streets. Cemetery office located at entrance gate. Take left fork just inside the entrance gate to reach Section Z. Contact Person: Easton Cemetery Company, 401 North 7th St., Easton, PA 18042, Wayne Unangst, Mgr. (215) 252-1741. Temple Covenant of Peace, 15th & Northampton Streets, Easton, PA 18042. Office: (215) 253-2031. Cemetery Committee Chair: Dick Richards, (215) 252-3118
|Last Updated on Friday, 16 January 2009 17:50|