You are here: Home United States Oregon OR ALBANY: Linn County
ALBANY: Linn County PDF Print E-mail
  • tombstone images online. A fee charged. [April 2010]
  • general Linn County information. [August 2005]
  • Willamette Valley Jewish Community Burial Society: "The Willamette Valley Jewish Community Burial Society is an incorporated body with chapters in Salem and Corvallis. A Jewish cemetery was established in Albany in the 1870's, and in the 1920's turned over to the Masonic Lodge in Albany. An agreement with this Masonic Lodge confers exclusive responsibility for the Jewish section of the Waverly Cemetery, including sale of the burial plots, to the Willamette Valley Jewish Community Burial Society." [August 2005]

St. Johns Jewish Cemetery: see Waverly Memorial Park [August 2005]

Waverly Memorial Park: contains Waverly Jewish Cemetery aka St. Johns Jewish Cemetery: Records from careful actual reading of the stones and the original DAR reading of the stones on 24 July, 1935, are in the possession of Eliezer Froehlich, Archivist of Waverly Jewish Cemetery in Albany. He also has a number of actual death certificates as well as copies of newspaper obituaries from the local paper. The cemetery was deeded over to St John's Masonic Lodge of Albany in 1935. A few recent, non-Jewish burials occurred on the site, currently back in Jewish hands for use by the Corvallis, Salem, and area community. The Jewish section is next to the Masonic section. Source: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , Archivist of Waverly Jewish Cemetery in Albany, Linn County, Oregon, 634 SW 7th St.; Corvallis, OR 97333.

UPDATE: "(The) original name was Albany Hebrew Cemetery, in 1935 cemetery deeded to St. John's Masonic Lodge with stipulation to maintain the Jewish section as a separate entity. In more recent years, back in the control of Salem and Corvallis, OR congregations, renamed Waverly Jewish Cemetery. More correct to use one of these names, as it was at first entirely a Jewish cemetery, Masonic section, albeit larger, given by the local Jewish community as the families were dying or moving out in the 1920's and early 1930's."  Source:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . [December 2012]

Documents: List of Jews buried in St. Johns Cemetery, 1877-1959; and letter from Robert E. Levinson to Stanley F. Chyet containing miscellaneous data.SC-160 and Microfilm No.3004; Jan. 25, 1962 are at AJA. American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. 513-221-1875 (tel); 513-221-7812 (fax). E-mail: AJA contact form.

Information: "The Jewish section of the Waverly Cemetery is divided into two sections. One section is for Jews as defined according to Jewish Law (Halakhah). The other is for Jews by patrilineal descent and families who wish burial with non-Jewish spouses. No ashes will be interred in the halakhic section ... It is owned by the St. Johns Lodge, A.F. and A.M. The governance of the use of the Jewish Cemetery is done by their Cemetery Board in conjunction with the Willamette Valley Jewish Community Burial Society..." Source.  [August 2005]

UPDATE: Northeast of Albany on Old Salem Road. Cemetery is on North side of road, opposite Waverly Lake (city park). Source: "Jewish Cemetery" on the 1878 Illustrated Historical Atlas Map, Linn Co. In the early 1930's "...(T)he trustees of the Jewish Cemetery on the Salem Road at Cox Creek volunteered to turn over their property to the Masonic Cemetery at no charge except the obligation to maintain the graves already there. For a long time this was then known as St Johns Cemetery but a few years ago the name was changed to Waverly Memorial Park, taking the name from Waverly Lake just across the road." Waverly Memorial Park now includes both the Jewish Cemetery and St. Johns Masonic Cemetery. Trustee: Linn Co. Tax Assessor: Lot 3500, AF & AM St Johns Lodge #17, 3165 Salem Ave SE, PO Box 394, Albany, OR 97321-0113,  1.928.3145/ See Albany Democrat Herald on July 29, 1980 and WPA Linn County Cemetery Survey from c. 1940 at the same site with cemetery history. Site dates from 1877.[August 2005]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 18:15
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution