CLEVELAND: Cuyahoga County Print

 

Jewish Genealogy Society of Cleveland

Contact information at: http://iajgs.org/members/members.html

 

Information on Cleveland cemeteries: Cleveland Jewish News.com

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/source/index.inn?loc=detail&main=Life-Cycle⊂=Cemeteries [May, 2007]

Cleveland Jewish Archives of the Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
(216) 721-5722
http://www.wrhs.org/library/template.asp?id=254 [May, 2007]

Source for much of the Cleveland Information: Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland, ph. 216 566-9200 from Paul Klein, Cleveland JGS; e-mail: pklein5ATgmail.com .

 

  • Anshe Chesed Cemetery: Glenville. Anshe Chesed Congregation (Cleveland, Ohio) Records, ca. 1851-1983. Description: 34.5 linear ft. Notes: Forms part of the repository's Cleveland Jewish Archives. Reform congregation chartered in 1842. Correspondence, minutes, financial and membership records, curriculum and other educational materials, legal documents, dues books, mortgages, deeds, scrapbooks, publications, photos, and service bulletins, relating to ... and United Jewish Cemeteries; ... Gift of the congregation, 1980. Photographs removed and housed in the photograph and print collection. Finding aid in the repository. Described in: A Guide to Jewish History Sources, Western Reserve Historical Society (1983), p. 37. Location: Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland, Ohio) (Mss. 3941). Control No.: DCLV93-A1289
  • Baxter Ave Cemetery: Osmond at E.65th St. off of Broadway, zip: 44105. Situated right next to Cleveland Central Catholic School, this cemetery, established in 1873, also was known as Old Bohemian Jewish Cemetery. Newburgh Israeli Congregation purchased the land. The cemetery was defunct by about 1903 but the last burial was in 1942. Cleveland JGS has enumeration.
  • Berger's Cemetery: West 50th and Theota, Parma, OH 44134, situated right next to Workman's Circle Cemetery. This private cemetery belonging to Ahavath Israel Congregation, 3448 Euclid Heights Blvd., Cleveland Heights, 44118 has about 40 burials. Cleveland JGS has enumeration.
  • B'nai Abraham: See: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States", pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 , September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Comm. and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.
  • Chesed Shel Emeth: 3740 Ridge Rd., zip 44144. Also known as Ridge Road #1. Contact Chesed Shel Emeth Association, 216 946-2691 or 216 631-4493 (at cemetery). On land purchased in 1905, the cemetery has over 2,300 burials. Partial database on Chesed Shel Emeth is available at the Cleveland JGS.
  • Chesterland Memorial Park: 1521 Chillicothe Rd., Chesterland. B'nai Jeshurun Congregation, ph.216 831-6555
  • Fir Avenue Cemetery: Also known as Hungarian Aid Society Cemetery at Fir Ave. and W. 61st. St., zip 44102. Interested or with more information are Park Synagogue, Jewish Community Federation, Heights Jewish Center (ph. 216 371-2244). There are some burials from 1860s. A note on gate says to get key at a house across the street. Hagidosh Hagadol Synagogue, Park Synagogue, and B'rith Abraham started fir Street Cemetery. Cleveland JGS has done an enumeration.
  • Fremont Cemetery: see Lansing Cemetery and see Warrensville Center Synagogue
  • Glenville Cemetery: 13009 Shaw Ave., East Cleveland, 44108. Contact B'nai Jeshurun Congregation, many years called Temple on the Heights at 216-831-6555. The first burial was about 1887. Now, approximately the 3,700 burials in the cemetery have been enumerated. Source: Paul Klein: e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
  • Harvard Cemetery: 5903 Harvard at E. 62nd St., zip 44105. Heights Jewish Center, (ph. 216 371-2244). Also known as the "Old Russian Cemetery" or Ohavu Amunah Cemetery, the cemetery was established around 1891. Now with over 800 burials, the cemetery has been vandalized more than once recently. Plans are underway to have all stones lying flat. This cemetery backs up to Lansing Cemetery. Burials from 1909-1939 are in the records of J. D. Deutch Funeral Home. Lena Katz at the Heights Jewish Center Synagogue (216-382-1958) has a card file extracted from when someone walked the cemetery quite a while ago. Some stones are illegible. (Not to be confused with city-owned Harvard Grove Cemetery on Lansing Ave, about a quarter mile away.) Source: Gary Silverstein on the BBS. No information as to whether this refers to Harvard Cemetery or Harvard Grove. "The land was owned by Congregation of Russian Israelites"; title Nov. 14, 1882. Sources: see Lansing Cemetery citation
  • Harvard Grove Cemetery: Though previously believed that no Jewish burials were in this cemetery, the following was submitted: The death record for my great-grandfather, Jacob Levy, who died 9 Feb 1900, states that he was buried at Harvard Grove (Jewish) Cemetery (6100 Lansing Ave.). The undertaker was A.L. Ratner. I visited this cemetery. It is in bad shape but has many Jewish stones still present. Source: Philip J. Leonard This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    UPDATE and CORRECTION: I enumerated Lansing Cemetery personally and had ample opportunity to look into Harvard Grove (on the other side of the fence). I have seen a very old map of Lansing showing a grave for one Jacob Levy. In many death records, and even in the Jewish newspapers of the time, Lansing was referred to many times as Harvard Grove. The J.D. Deutsch Funeral Home records also mistakenly referred to Lansing as Harvard Grove. However, it is not and was not. Because of my experience with local records, I feel firmly that there are no Jewish burials at Harvard Grove. Those burials are in fact in Lansing, immediately adjacent. Source: Paul Klein, Cleveland, Ohio pklein5ATgmail.com [November 2001]
  • Hillcrest Memorial Park: 26700 Aurora Rd. at Richmond, zip: 44146. Park Synagogue (Brith Emeth) and Temple Emanu El. Ph. 216 421-2665 (at cemetery).
  • Hungarian Aid Society Cemetery: see Fir Avenue
  • Kinsman Cemetery: see Park Synagogue Cemetery
  • Lake View Cemetery: 12316 Euclid Ave., 44115. This 285-acre cemetery was established in 1869. Suburban Temple has a section within. 216 421-2665 (at cemetery). Suburban Temple: 22401 Chagrin Blvd., Beachwood, OH 44122; 216-991-0700.
  • Lansing Cemetery: {10893} 5716 Lansing Ave. at E.57th St. in Fleet Ave. area between Fleet Avenue and Harvard Ave. The cemetery entrance is at the end of 57th St. This cemetery really does have stones that read, "Unknown." Source: pklein5ATgmail.com .
    The following sections are under auspices of Lansing Ave. Cemetery Association. Site is comprised of:

SECTION 1

.

SECTION 2

.

Tier 1

Marmorishe

Tier 1

Sherith Jacob

Tier 2

Sherith Torah

Tier 2

Sherith Torah

Tier 3

Anshe Svard Tier

Tier 3

Habershe Sholeim

Tier 4

Oheb Zedek

Tier 4

Ansche Zvard

Tier 5

Pazelver

Tier 5

Shomer Shabboth

Tier 6

Beth Hamidrash Hagodel

Tier 6

Pazelver

Tier 7 & 8

Kneseth Israel KI

Tier 7

Beth Hamidrash Hagodel

Tier 8 & 9

Kneseth Israel

SECTION 3

.

SECTION 4

.

Beth Hamiddrash Hagodel

Parts 1 & 2 Anshe Grodna

Current Layout:
Sections 1 and 2 became section 4 that includes Taylor Road Synagogue and Green Road Synagogue. This also includes a section called Oheb Zedek Congregation of Newburgh, which is part of Taylor Road Synagogue.
Sections 3 and 4 becomes Section 3 that is all Heights Jewish Center and also includes Anshe Grodno.
Taylor Road Synagogue Records, 1919-1968. Description: 3.29 linear ft. Notes: Forms part of the repository's Cleveland Jewish Archives. Established in 1952 with the merger of Oheb Zedek Congregation (founded 1904) and Chibas Jerusalem Congregation (founded 1904); in 1955 Shaaray Torah Congregation (founded ca. 1897) became part of Taylor Road Synagogue. ... cemetery records, ... In English and Yiddish. Gift of Taylor Road Synagogue, 1977. Finding aid in the repository. Other authors: Oheb Zedek Congregation (Cleveland, Ohio); Chibas Jerusalem Congregation (Cleveland, Ohio); Shaaray Torah Congregation (Cleveland, Ohio). Location: Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland, Ohio) (Mss. 3765). Control No.: DCLV93-A622 [December 2000]

Taylor Road Synagogue

Green Road Synagogue

Agudas/Agudath Achim

Marmaresher

Agudas B'nai Israel

Heights Jewish Center

Chibas Jerusalem

Sherith Israel

Knesseth Israel

Beth Hamidrash Hagedol

Oheb Zedek

Shaary Tora

Warrensville Center Synagogue Sherith Jacob
Titiever Ahavath Achim Anshe Sfard
    • Additional information:
      The following congregations listed with sections no longer exist. They may have merged with others: Anshe Grodna, Habershe Sholeim, Pazelver, Sherith Torah, and Shomer Shabboth. Some were listed in the table above. Records from about 1930 show congregations that purchased land at Lansing. Most date from the late 1800s to 1911.
    • Chevra Aguna Achim Shaarey Torah Congregation
      Or Chodesh Beth Jacob Anshe Sfard Sherith Jacob
      Beth Hamidrash Hagodol Beth Israel Congregation Knesset Israel
      Jacob Rothman et al, Trustee, transferred title to Oheb Zedek, M. Horowitz and M. Scheingold, Trustees Baruch Chevra Ohel Chesed
      J. Latimer
      Source: Cleveland Jewish Archives at Western Reserve Historical Society Library. Source for Lansing and for further information on Lancing contact: Marcia Rubin or Sandy Malitz, 1091 Dorsh Road, South Euclid, OH

· Lincoln Road Cemetery: see Workman's Circle Cemetery

· Mayfield Cemetery: 2749 Mayfield Rd, Cleveland Heights, 44106. United Jewish Cemeteries: Fairmount Temple and The Temple. Ph. 216 321-1733. The first burial was in 1887 but some burials date are as early as 1863. These could have been transfers from Willet St. Cemetery. Willet records are held at Mayfield. The famous rabbis, Abba Hillel Silver and Barnett R.Brickner, are buried here. Cleveland JGS has enumeration. Mayfield Cemetery: # 16377 Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Detroit MI: Gale Research Int., 1994. ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Submitted by Al Rosenfield, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

· Mt. Olive Cemetery: 27855 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH 44139. Ph. 216 248-5100 (at cemetery). The land was purchased in 1924 with the first burial approximately 1925-26. Mt. Olive Cemetery Association is comprised of the following sections: Bethaynum, Green Road Synagogue, Jewish War Veterans, Shomre Shaboth, Sinai Synagogue, Taylor Road Synagogue, Young Israel,and Warrensville Center.
Sinai Synagogue Records, 1918-1961 (bulk 1919-1954). Description: 1.7 linear ft. Notes: Forms part of the repository's Cleveland Jewish Archives. Originally established in 1899 as Erster Galizianer Unterstützungs Verein (First Galician Aid Society) to provide orthodox religious services and aid to emigrants from Galicia, Poland; in 1924 Beth Hamedrosh Anshe Galicia (House of Learning of the People of Galicia) congregation was formed to replace the society; in 1956 name changed to Sinai Synagogue. ... cemetery record book, ... Chiefly in Yiddish. Gift of the synagogue, 1976. Finding aid in the repository. Location: Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland, Ohio) (Mss. 3652). Control No.: DCLV93-A614 Mount Olive Cemetery: # 16379 Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Detroit MI: Gale Research Int., 1994. ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Submitted by Al Rosenfield, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

· Mt. Sinai Cemetery: 6576 White Road at SOM Center, Mayfield Village, OH 44143. Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association: Heights Jewish Center and Taylor Road Synagogue. Ph. 216 382-1958. The cemetery with, approximately 850 burials, opened in 1934 and has been enumerated. Mount Sinai Cemetery: # 16380 Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Detroit MI: Gale Research Int., 1994. ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Submitted by Al Rosenfield, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Ohavu Amunah Cemetery: See Harvard Cemetery

Oheb Zedek: See: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States", pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 , September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.

Old Bohemian Jewish Cemetery: See Baxter Avenue Cemetery

Old Russian Cemetery: See Harvard Cemetery

Park Synagogue Cemetery: 25796 Chagrin Blvd., Cleveland 44122. Opened in 1914, the site also was known as Warrensville Cemetery and Kinsman Cemetery .From an announcement by the cemetery to Congregation Beth Am: "People buried in Congregation Beth Am Section (Community Temple) Warrensville Cemetery, also known as Park Synagogue, located at Chagrin Blvd and Richmond Road. This section formerly belonged to Ahavath Zion Synagogue prior to merging with Congregation Beth Am. Planter boxes and plantings are in disrepair. If arrangements are not made for perpetual care before March 1, 1996, the boxes are to be removed and ground leveled." Congregation Beth Am, 3557 Washington Blvd Cleveland Heights OH 44118 (216) 321-1000. Park Synagogue Cemetery Association, comprised of the following sections: Anshe Sfard, Beth Am, Liberty Aid Society [disbanded, contact Park Synagogue cemetery office at 216-831-9441], Oer Chodosh, Park Synagogue, Taylor Road Synagogue, and Zemach Zedek Congregation. Park Synagogue Cemetery: # 16381 Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Detroit MI: Gale Research Int., 1994. ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Submitted by Al Rosenfield, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Ridge Road (#2): 3824 Ridge Rd., zip 44144. ph. 216 281-9588. Ridge Road Cemetery Assoc. comprised of the following sections: American Hebrew Benevolent, Beth Israel - West Temple, Sinai Synagogue, Taylor Road Synagogue, and Warrensville Center.Beth Israel-West Temple Records, 1923-1981. Description: 3 linear ft. Notes: Forms part of the repository's Cleveland Jewish Archives. In part, photocopies. Formed in 1957 with the merger of Beth Israel (organized in 1954) and West Side Jewish Center (organized in 1910 as B'nai Israel; name changed in 1940)....cemetery records, ... Includes correspondence, minutes, financial statements, and other records of Ridge Road Cemetery Association. Gift of the congregation, 1981. Finding aid in the repository. Location: Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland, Ohio)(Mss. 3926). Control No.: DCLV93-A826

Shaarei Torah: See: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States", pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 , September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.

Tifereth Israel Cemetery:

    • United Jewish Cemeteries of Cleveland: See: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States",pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 , September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.
    • Warrensville Center Synagogue: Ph. 216 641-8980 or 216 382-1958. First burials in were the 1890s. Prior to 1920, the site was known as Fremont Cemetery and Park Synagogue Cemetery. This cemetery is back-to-back to Harvard Cemetery. See Park Synagogue Cemetery
    • Western Reserve Cemetery: 11521 Chillicothe Rd., Chesterland, OH 44102. Am Shalom, Ner Tamid and Temple Israel. Ph. 216 255-1544
    • Willet Street: 2254 Fulton Rd., 44133. Used by: United Jewish Cemeteries, The Temple and Fairmount Temple. (216 321-1733.) There is a combination lock on the gate. Call Mayfield Cemetery for entry information. The first Jewish cemetery in Cleveland had its first burial in 1840. Records are kept at Mayfield Cemetery. Cleveland JGS has the enumeration.
    • Willet Street Cemetery: The Israelite Society; deed from Josiah Barber for Willet Street Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio, July 7, 1840 in Small Collection at AJA . American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. 513-221-1875 (tel); 513-221-7812 (fax). E-mail: AJA contact form .
    • Workmen's Circle Cemetery: Theota Ave. and W. 54th St., this site also is known as Lincoln Road Cemetery opened December 6, 1920 on four acres. Workmen's Circle, Warrensville Center and Oer Chodosh. Ph. 216 321-8712.
    • Zion Memorial Park: 51 Northfield Road near Southgate Shopping Center. Bedford, OH 44146. Ph. 216 662-4260. Started in 1948. Zion Memorial Cemetery Foundation is comprised of the following sections: Beth Am, Bethaynu Congregation, Beth El, Etz Chaim, Green Road, Jewish Civil Service Employees, Jewish War Veterans, Mayfield Hillcrest (Shaarey Tikvah), Temple Ner Tamid, Sinai Synagogue, Warrensville Center Synagogue, Young Israel and Zion Memorial Park. Sinai Synagogue Records, 1918-1961 (bulk 1919-1954). Description: 1.7 linear ft. Notes: Forms part of the repository's Cleveland Jewish Archives. Originally established in 1899 as Erster Galizianer Unterstützungs Verein (First Galician Aid Society) to provide orthodox religious services and aid to emigrants from Galicia, Poland; in 1924 Beth Hamedrosh Anshe Galicia (House of Learning of the People of Galicia) congregation was formed to replace the society; in 1956 name changed to Sinai Synagogue. ... cemetery record book, ... Chiefly in Yiddish. Gift of the synagogue, 1976. Finding aid in the repository. Location: Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland, Ohio) (Mss. 3652). Control No.: DCLV93-A614 . Zion Memorial Park: # 16393 Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Detroit MI: Gale Research Int., 1994. ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Submitted by Al Rosenfield, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 17 April 2010 18:19