|NEW BERN: Craven County|
general Craven County information.
Neo-Classical Revival Temple Chester B'nai Sholem Synagogue was completed in 1908. New Bern has had an active Jewish congregation since before 1824.
1919 Jewish population was 99. Source: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States" pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.
City Cemetery: There had been a city cemetery under what is now Craven Street. At least one Jew was buried there: Rabbi Yakov Abroo, who died before 1790.
UPDATE: Following the Civil War, New Bern's Jewish Community established the Hebrew Cemetery. Adjacent to the National Cemetery, this tree-shaded site, contains many late nineteenth-century tombstones inscribed in both Hebrew and English. Source:
"In 1865, the "Hebrews of New Bern" purchased land next to the National Cemetery for a Jewish Cemetery." More Jews settled in what are now Jones, Carteret and Pamlico counties as well as Craven Co. and New Bern about 1850. The original deed for the cemetery was found in the personal papers of a Lester Bray. The land next to the National Cemetery was purchased for $100 from Isaac and Annie Hughes on December 27, 1877. Signatures of four Trustees for the United Hebrews of New Bern appear on the document: Adolph Hahn, Meyer Hahn, Joseph Schwin and Henry Sperling. The property was sold by the Hebrews of New Bern to Chester Bnai Sholom Synagogue for $1, but, the assets of the cemetery and the assets of the congregation are held separately to this day. Address: Corner of Queen and George Streets, (252) 636-4000. Source html is removed. [July 2014
|Last Updated on Monday, 07 July 2014 16:45|