|WUPPERTAL: North Rhine-Westphalia|
51°16′0″N 7°11′0″E, Wuppertal is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia in and around the Wupper river valley east of the city of Düsseldorf and south of the Ruhr area. population: 350,000. The largest city in the Bergisches Land, Wuppertal is known for its steep slopes, its woods and parks, and its suspension railway. Two-thirds of the total municipal area is green space. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Wuppertal was one of the biggest industrial regions of continental Europe. Today, industries such as textiles, metallurgy, chemicals, pharmaceuticals (Aspirin was invented in Wuppertal in 1897 by Bayer), electronics, automobiles, rubber, vehicles and printing equipment. Wikipedia. [August 2012]
WUPPERTAL is the amalgamation of Elberfeld, Barmen, and other towns in 1929. Jewish population: 1593 [ every Jew had to contribute ten thalers for the defense of the town] "Sixty Jewish families were admitted in 1671. A new Judenordnung ("Jews' Statute") was introduced into the duchy of Juelich in 1749, imposing a heavy tax burden. The yarnmakers of Elberfeld had always strenuously opposed Jewish settlement, and in 1794 all Jews were expelled from the town, returning when it was under French rule (1806-15). Their position then greatly improved. In 1808 there were nine Jewish families in the town, and 21 in 1818. A synagogue was built in 1865. In 1875 the number of Jews in Elberfeld was 813, growing to 1,104 in 1880; 1,705 in 1905; and 3,000 in 1932. The poet Else *Lasker-Schueler was born there. After the 1794 expulsion, Jews were admitted into Barmen under French rule; however, by 1877 there were no more than ten families in the town. The community numbered 584 in 1905, and 750 (0.33 percent of the total population) in 1926 (unchanged in 1933). The number of Jews in Wuppertal was approximately 3,500 (0.8 percent) in 1933, but had decreased to just over 1,000 in 1939, plus about 650 so-called Mischlinge (mixed Jews). In November 1938 the synagogues were destroyed and many Jewish inhabitants deported to *Dachau. Most of those who remained at the outbreak of war in 1939 perished in the Holocaust. A "branch" of the *Buchenwald concentration camp operated outside Wuppertal in 1942-43. A small Jewish congregation was re-established after 1945, numbering approximately 150 persons in 1967. The Jewish community numbered 82 in 1989 and 2,293 in 2004. The increase is explained by the immigration of Jews from the former Soviet Union. A new synagogue was consecrated in 2002. In 1994 a new cultural and educational center was opened in memory of the members of the Jewish community who were expelled and killed during the Nazi era. Built on the site of the destroyed synagogue in Elberfeld, it serves as a venue for exhibitions, lectures, and seminars. Wuppertal is the seat of the Else Lasker-Schueler Society, founded in 1990." Source: Encyclopedia Judaica [August 2012]
Holocaust Memorial: Train station at the end of Nazi period: the deportation of over 1,000 Jewish citizens of Wuppertal via Eastern European ghettos to Nazi extermination camps took place from Steinbeck station. On the platform a labelled obelisk made of stone memorialises the five mass movements of deportees.
5600 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz, Peters)
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 August 2012 15:47|