EUSKIRCHEN PDF Print E-mail
EUSKIRCHEN: incorporating FLAMERSHEIM, GROSSBÜLLESHEIM, KIRCHHEIM, KUCHENHEIM, and SCHWEINHEIM, 53879 North-Rhine Westphalia
LANDKREIS: City and District of EUSKIRCHEN.
SOURCE: Gerz and Peters.
LOCATION OF CEMETERIES:
NOTE: These cemeteries are now owned and maintained by the local civil authority.

CEMETERY 1: Old cemetery I: ‚Am Judenwall; Herz-Jesu Kirche.
IN USE: From 1680 until 1835.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: none.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTE:
  • Following a long drawn-out legal wrangle with the City authority, this ground at the Judenwall was acquired by the Catholic Church who, in 1901, decided to build the Herz-Jesu church on this site. More in Schulte and Pracht above. According to Schulte, an exhumation of the Dead together with the reburial and relocation of the gravestones was to take place about 1903/04 in the cemetery of Euskirchen in Kölner Strasse.

CEMETERY 2: Kölner Strasse.
IN USE: From 1834 until 1918. The cemetery was abolished and built over in 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: None.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • A few gravestones and fragments of this disappeared cemetery can be seen in the new cemetery in the Frauenberger Strasse, Euskirchen (Cemetery 3 below).

CEMETERY 3: Neuer Friedhof (New cemetery) - Frauenberger Strasse.
IN USE: From 1913 until 1942.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 45.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1991 - 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
  • 1994 - 1999 (13 photographs and views of cemetery).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • The inscription on 29 gravestones were destroyed to such an extent that they are now no longer legible. According to Pracht no reconstruction is now possible in view of the numerous acts of destruction. A few of the gravestones which can be seen originate from the cemetery in Kölner Strasse.(see above).

CEMETERY 4: FLAMERSHEIM „Im obersten Driefeldchen“ between the districts of Niederkastenholz and Kirchheim and in proximity of Arloffer Strasse . The cemetery nearer to Niederkastenholz is the Flamersheim cemetery.
IN USE: From prior to 1790 until 1939.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 30.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1991 – 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
  • 1994 -1997 by Dieter Peters (10 photographs of gravestones and views if cemetery).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • This cemetery was also used by the Jewish communities of Kirchheim and Niederkastenholz. During the Nazi era the cemetery was ravaged.

CEMETERY 5: GROSSBÜLLESHEIM 53881 - Alfred-Wegener-Strasse.
IN USE: from 1876 until 1928.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 11.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1991 - 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • This cemetery was sold to the local authority in 1943. The sale was rescinded in 1948. Prior to that numerous gravestones had been sold off.

CEMETERY 6 KIRCHHEIM 53881 - In der Mohrenweide – along a footpath in the proximity of Arloffer Strasse , between the districts of Niederkastenholz and Kirchheim.
IN USE: From 1790 until 1907. Enlarged in 1856.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 7.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1991 - 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
  • 1994 - 1997 by Dieter Peters (6 photographs of gravestones and general views of cemetery).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTE:
  • The cemetery was repeatedly vandalised during and also after the Nazi era. Following the cemetery’s closure in 1907, the remaining few Kirchheim Jews used the cemetery in Flamersheim.

CEMETERY 7: KUCHENHEIM 53881 - Robert-Stolz-Strasse.
IN USE: From 1778 until about 1929. Additional land acquired 1880 and enlarged 1888.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 13.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1984 by Dan Bondy (Complete cemetery documentation).
  • 1991 - 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
  • 1994 - 1997 by Dieter Peters (7 photographs: gravestones and general views of cemetery).
PUBLICATIONS:
  • History and burial register by Schulte 1972, pages 132 and 305.
  • Complete cemetery documentation by Bondy 1984, pages 433 - 446.
  • Burial register by Peters 1993, page 194.
  • History by Pracht 1997, pages 354 – 355 and 401.
NOTES:
  • Numerous gravestones were lost during the Nazi era. Only 21 graves could be determined by Bondy in 1984. The chairman of the Kuchenheim Borough acquired the cemetery in 1943. Restitution was made in 1950 to the Jewish community of Cologne (Köln).

CEMETERY 8: SCHWEINHEIM 53881 – „Schweinheimer Pfad“. Outside districts of Schweinheim on Schweizer Strasse.
IN USE: From 1782 until 1911.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 14.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1972 by Klaus H.S. Schulte (Burial register).
  • 1991 - 1993 by Dieter Peters (Burial register).
  • 1994 by Dieter Peters (4 photographs: gravestones and general views of cemetery).
PUBLICATIONS:
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Jüdische Kultusgemeinde der Rheinpfalz.
  Additional information for several cemetery locations was obtained by kind cooperation received from the City of Euskirchen authority.
[[Researched and translated from German February 2008]
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution