DORTMUND (Wampel) Print

DORTMUND: 44287 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)

  • Ot. Aplerbeck I (Old Cemetery) at Swiss Avenue near Canaris Street. Used: early 19th to early 20th century, closed in 1926. 25 gravestones visible.

    - Approximately 1975 - 2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)

    - 2001 by Mike Redel (copy, German inscriptions)

    - History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.45Ot.

  • Ot. Aplerbeck II (municipal cemetery) at Cologne-Berlin Road, NE part of the municipal cemetery. Used 1906 - ca 1934 with about 20 gravestones visible. - 2001 by Mike Redel (copy, German inscriptions;- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.4;- History Ot. Dellwig-Holte

  • Dorstfeld :Dorstfeld New Cemetery: Witten road. Used 1861 - 1938. no gravestones. In the NS, subject to several changes of ownership. Today, the Evangelical Church of the site owner. - History in Brilling 1960 , 14;- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.4; History:- History:

    • Dorstfeld (Medieval Cemetery): Twerskuhle, formerly "Auf'm Bachum" (hall 4, No 393/84). Used 1790 - 1860. 40 visible gravestones. Formerly before Westentor. Dedicated/acquired 1336. No visible gravestones. When the Jews were expelled from Dortmund in 1350, the cemetery and other properties of the Jewish community were confiscated. After return  in 1373, the city of Dortmund allowed on payment of a basic interest for reusing the old burial ground. How long this cemetery was used is unknown. History:  [Sep 2012]

    • - 2001 by Mike Redel (copy, German inscriptions)

    • - History in Brilling 1960 , 147

    • - History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.45 -

    • - History in Brilling 1959 , pp. 52 -53.

    • - History in Brilling 1964 , p.1

    • Hauptfriedhof and Ostfriedhof Cemeteries: Two well kept Jewish cemeteries. One is a Jewish cemetery at the "Hauptfriedhof"; contains a small chapel. The other is at the "Ostfriedhof" where about half of the original graves are standing and well maintained, the other half was destroyed by World War II bombings. Neither cemetery appears to have an alphabetical list, though they do maintain records. The Jewish community in Dortmund is located across the street from the synagogue. It covers the whole region and has been helpful in locating particular graves: We also visited this cemetery in June l995. It was in excellent condition. Updated address is Jewish Gemeinde office, Wolfgang Polak, Judische Kultusgemeinde Gross-Dortmund, Prinz-Friedrich-Karl-Strasse 9, 4600 Dortmundthe. Sources: Henry Birnbrey and This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , St. Louis, July 23, l996;

  • Ot. Mengede

CEMETERY: Victory Road, corner Gropp Bruchstrasse. Used 19th century-1952. Visible gravestones: about 20.
- Approximately 1975-2000 by Heritage Office (Photos) [Sept 2012]
- history in Westfalen-Lippe, 1987, p.46

  • Ot. Wickede.
        • Cemetery : former Bock detour south of the Protestant cemetery. Used 1900-1938. Visible gravestones: about 7 (Nachbildungen). The Nazis destroyed the cemetery  after 1940.  The municipality created a commemorative stone in 1946. [Sep 2012]
          - ca 1975-2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
          - Geschichte in Westfalen-Lippe 1987, S. 47.
          - Geschichte in Wickende (Presse)
  • Ot. Hoerde Cemetery:

Located today's Hörder Kampweg, beside No. 32. Used 1914 - 1967. About 80 visible gravestones. 16 burials from Lüdinghausen were relocated here in 1942. [Sep 2012]
- Approximately 1975 - 2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.46
- History: http://ods.dokom.net/mbr/agsor/haus/friedhof/friedhof.htm

West Park Cemetery: At the NE corner of West Park today, originally on the NW side of the cemetery. Used 1815 - 1885. No gravestones. memorial - May 2011. The Nazis leveled and tunneled the cemetery using the gravestones to build a bunker. Since 1955, a school is located on the site.
- History in superb Jörns 2005 , pp. 97-99.
- History in Commer 2001 with reference to research by city archivist Herman Bausch.

Ostpark Cemetery: (center) at East Park [Ostpark] , Robert-Koch-Strasse. Used 1888 - c.1921. 263 visible gravestones.
- Approximately 1975 - 2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
- 2000 by Mike Redel (transcript: German inscriptions)
- History in Pfeiffer 1986 , pp. 72
- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , pp. 47
- 50

Lutgendortmund Dellwiger Cemetery: Located Dellwiger street, no house next to No. 238. Used first half 20th century. Visible gravestones: 10. Dortmund-Lütgendortmund
- Approximately 1975-2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
- history in Westfalen-Lippe, 1987, p.46

Wambel City of Dortmund
CEMETERY: Located Rennweg, near the main cemetery. Used 1921-today. Visible gravestones: 578. According to letter from Mike Redel (3.9.02) the burial ground has six stones from another cemetery. [Sep 2012]
- 2002 by Mike Redel (copy, German inscriptions, recording part of the old part)
- history in Westfalen-Lippe, 1987, pp. 24, 47

Last Updated on Tuesday, 11 September 2012 18:58