|COESFELD: North Rhine-Westphalia|
Alternate names: Coesfeld [Ger], Koesfeld, Koosfelt. 51°56' N, 07°09' E, Capital of Kreis Coesfeld, in North Rhine-Westphalia. 21 miles W of Münster. Jewish population: 114 (in 1849), 57 (in 1933).
CEMETERY: 8653 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz).
Tilly, Heinz-Peter: "Juedische Friedhoefe im Kreisgebiet" In: Juden im Kreis Coesfeld/Kreis Coesfeld, Der Oberkreisdirektor-Coesfeld, 1990, S. 303-328. Source: AE [sic]
Court Ring [Gerichtsring] Osterwicker Str. Used 1678 - 1896. No visible stones. 13 gravestones of the old cemetery are now in New Cemetery. At this cemetery only one gravestone on the green strip between the parking lot of the VR-Bank Westmünsterland and the court ring exists. It was used by 1678 to1896. 13 gravestones of the old cemetery were deposited in the new cemetery. [Sept 2012]
Easter Wicker Street [Osterwicker Strasse] , number next to the house 77. Used from 1896 - 1995. 34 (+ 13 from the Old Cemetery) gravestones are visible. The cemetery is located out of town and is under monument protection. The cemetery was used for burials from 1896. The last burial took place in 1995. In the cemetery area 47 gravestones. On the central access road, the city Coesfeld established a Holocaust memorial stele. Another monument was dedicated on the 70th anniversary of the pogroms on 9 November 2008 and unveiled at the entrance to the cemetery next to the wrought-iron gate. Designed by Coesfelder architect Paul Schürmann, a bronze plate describes the cemetery history. In the same year the local club Coesfeld inventoried all the gravestones with photographs. [Sept 2012]
Klaus-Dieter Alicke. Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in German-speaking 3 vols. Gütersloh publishing house , Gütersloh, 2008, ISBN 978-3-579-08035-2 .
The New Jewish Cemetery in Coesfeld in Central Archives for the Study of the History of the Jews in Germany .
|Last Updated on Sunday, 23 September 2012 21:20|