BOTTROP - Kirchhellen: North Rhine-Westphalia Print

Coat of arms of Bottrop, 51°31' N, 06°55' E, 6 miles NW of Essen, in Nordrhein-Westfalen. Jewish population: 68 (1905), 237 (1927). Bottrop is a city in west central Germany on the Rhine-Herne Cana in the Ruhr industrial area. Bottrop adjoins Essen, Oberhausen, Gladbeck and Dorsten. The city had been a coal-mining and rail center and contains factories producing coal-tar derivatives, chemicals, textiles, and machinery. Bottrop began as a mining center in the 1860s. In 1975 it unified with neighbouring communities of Gladbeck and Kirchhellen, but Gladbeck left in 1976, leading to Kirchhellen becoming a district of Bottrop as Bottrop-Kirchhellen. 40% of the city's population is of Polish descent as late 19th century immigrants.

CEMETERY: 46236 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)
An der Landwehr (Bottroper Heide). For information about the cemetery click here. photos and map. Location: An der Landwehr, Bottrop heath; extension NW corner of the West Cemetery on the western ring, Neustrasse. Created in 1899, the fifteen visible gravestones date from 1901 to 1937. By 1921, Bottrop belonged to the district of Recklinghausen called "Vest". In 1930, the cemetery was desecrated. The Nazis destroyed the cemetery. According to communication from Henner Maas [24/02/2000] at the cemetery in late 1944 and early 1945, three Jewish forced laborers from Sighet / Hungary were buried; they died in a concentration camp outside Gelsenberg. 1966 and 1970, the cemetery was desecrated again. Werner Schneider in 1980 notes 10 of the 15 remaining gravestones were legible. [Sept 2012]

- History in Handbook 2008 , pp. 249

Last Updated on Friday, 14 September 2012 23:00