You are here: Home Germany NORDRHEIN-WESTFALEN (NORTH RHINE-WESTPHALIA) BORNHEIM (Hersel, Heimerzheim and Sechtem): North Rhine-Westphalia
BORNHEIM (Hersel, Heimerzheim and Sechtem): North Rhine-Westphalia PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Bornheim 50°46' N, 07°00' E, 5 miles NW of Bonn, 12 miles S of Köln (Cologne), in Rhein-Sieg kreis. Bornheim is a town in on the west bank of the Rhine. The town borders Bonn to the south, the towns of Alfter and Swisttal to the SW, the town of Weilerswist to the west, the towns of Brühl and Wesseling to the north, as well as the Rhine-bordering town of Niederkassel in the east. Bornheim is divided up into 14 districts: Bornheim, Brenig, Dersdorf, Hemmerich, Hersel, Kardorf, Merten, Rösberg, Roisdorf, Sechtem, Uedorf, Walberberg, Waldorf and Widdig. Jewish population: 107 (1871), 140 (1913).

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 173: "Bornheim".
  • JewishGen GerSIG
  • See Niederrhein in General Section: Dokumentation zur Geschichte der Juden.. Alphabetical list of names + birth date and place. 108 persons, 1769-1930. Source: Tagger, Mathilde A. Printed Books on Jewish cemeteries in the Jewish National and University Library in Jerusalem: an annotated bibliography. Jerusalem: The Israel Genealogical Society, 1997.
  • The Jewish cemetery located in Botzdorf district probably dates from the 16th century, but the oldest remaining tombstone dates from 1771. 107 gravestones have been documented in a 2004 study commissioned by the city of Bornheim. Previously, the cemetery also was used by or they used the Hersel, Heimerzheim and Sechtem cemetery. A Holocaust memorial was built.  Inscriptions. On 22 July 2004, the Council Chamber of the City of Bornheim presented a project entitled "Bet hahayim - House of Life" by Dan Bondy and Hildegard Heimig that documents the three Bornheimer Jewish cemeteries - last and silent testimony of at least since the 18th century Jewish population. Also a number Bornheimer cemetery tombstones of Roisdorfer citizens are illustrated and described including a butcher and cattle dealer family named Loeb from Brunnenstraße or  members of the family Metzger, which is also ran a cattle trade on Brunnenstraße . The graves of the last Jewish citizens?: Alfred, David, Ellen, Hertha and Philip Loeb, and Franziska Cahn, born Loeb, were murdered in Auschwitz, Theresienstadt or Minsk. Alfons Feldmann, from (Neusser Street), a so-called "half-Jew", appears to have been also killed because of his ancestry. In the summer of 2000 they were commissioned by the city archives to photograph the individual grave monuments. See photos and book.

53332 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)

  • Lessingstr. Cemetery:
  • Ot. Alfter, Auf dem Buchhol Cemetery: The Alfter Jewish cemetery is a well preserved and landmarked since 1987 on Hühnerbuschweg in Alfter, a neighboring community. In use by 1719 to 1938. 20 gravestones from this period survived. In 1949, the municipality Alfter took over the care of the cemetery. see  Alfter
  • Ot. Herse, am Bahnhof der KBE Cemetery: Hersel is a district of Bornheim.


Last Updated on Friday, 14 September 2012 21:51
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution