BORGHOLZ: North Rhine-Westphalia Print

51°37' N 9°16' E, 186.1 miles WSW of Berlin. This city in Hoxter near federal road 241 and the former railway line Holzminden Scherfede is about 8 km W of the Weser River and 15 km E of Eggegebirge. Since 1652, two Jewish families lived in Borgholz. Around 1807, thirteen Jewish families lived in Borgholz and 1871, 64 Jews lived there falling to 8 in 1930. The synagogue in Borgholz was built in 1838 by the Jewish community of the Kleinen Strasse near the market. Once in 1937, window were smashed and benches thrown over, but on Kristallnacht, the synagogue was partially destroyed. The houses of the local Jews were attacked on the same night. A large part of the property of the Jewish population was destroyed or stolen. In the months following, the Borgholzer Jews were terrorized. In 1942 all remaining Jews were deported. After World War II, the synagogue was used as a garage or storage room. The building was transformed in the mid-1990s into the open-air museum of Detmold resulting in a public debate. In 1995, the city purchased the building and Borgentreich renovated now used as a socio-cultural meeting place. photos. [Sep 2012]

CEMETERY: 34434 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)

CEMETERY: City Borgentreich, district Höxter at the cemetery area of SE Borgholz near walls of the back street from Kuckucksweg between houses No. 1/3 and No. 7, formerly Judenhagen (hall 5, No. 50). Used probably early 18th to 20th century. 54 visible stones. The Jewish cemetery outside the village at times had a Jewish school. [Sep 2012]
- Approximately 1975 - 2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
PUBLICATIONS:
- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , pp. 80
- History in splendor 1998 , pp. 177, 252

Last Updated on Friday, 14 September 2012 19:50