|BOCHOLT: North Rhine-Westphalia|
Bocholt is a city in the district Borken in NW North Rhine-Westphalia situated 4 km S of the border with the Netherlands. 51°50' N, 06°36' E, in Kreis Borken, NW North Rhine-Westphalia, near the Dutch border. 1905 Jewish population: 296. Wikipedia.
Title: Juden in Bocholt
NEW CEMETERY: Address: Vardingholter road, Kreis Borken. Used 1810 - 1940, first burial 1822. No visible gravestones [sic?]. The cemetery was closed in 1940 by the Nazis. Polish prisoners of war removed gravestones to the cemetery on the road Vardingholter far outside the city. Used 1940. 94 gravestones. The cemetery was that of the Bocholt Jewish community, a 1940 replacement for their Old Cemetery. Sundermann reported disinterment effected at least 126 dead, carried out in 1940 by Polish prisoners of war to the New Cemetery. As part of this action, a total of 94 gravestones were brought. approximately 2680 square meters. This is the third Jewish cemetery in the town of Bocholt area that was created in 1940. The first burial place dating from 1700 was about 140 m long and 6 - 8 m wide strip detected along the eastern wall. From 1822 - 1940, the second burial site was located north of the water tower on the road "Auf der Recke." In 1940 Jewish community in Bocholt approved the relocation and reburial to Vardingholter road. 133 deceased were moved accordingly, with 94 visible gravestones and 140 number blocks. The oldest gravestone was from 1882. Since 1942, no more Jewish burials have taken place. The grave of the deceased Sara Cleffmann 1927 came from the Jewish cemetery elsewhere. In the years 1941 to 1945 and deceased POW camp Stalag VI F Soviet POWs were buried between the Jewish graves in the new (1940) Jewish cemetery. In 1964, 169 were reburied in the neighboring war graves cemetery and the third Jewish cemetery in its present form redesigned. Left of the entrance is the refurbished monument erected in 1925 with the names of 11 Jewish soldiers, who fell in the First World War. In 1948, the city built a memorial stone on the Bocholt Mittelbeet. The Jewish cemetery, which is maintained by the city since 1955, is a closed cemetery where no further burials will occur. photo. history. photo. overview. photo. [Sep 2012]
- History in Handbook 2008 , pp. 207
Hartmut Stratmann, Günter Birkmann: Jewish Cemeteries in Westphalia and Lippe dkv the small Verlag, Dusseldorf, 1987. ISBN 3-924166-15-3
|Last Updated on Thursday, 13 September 2012 23:36|