BEVERUNGEN (Weser): North Rhine-Westphalia Print

Coat of arms of Beverungen51°40' N, 09°22' E,  In Kreis Höxter, 10 km S of Hoxter and 25 miles NNW of Kassel. Jewish population: 131 (in 1895). Beverungen thereby lies in eastern North Rhine-Westphalia at the three-state point shared with Lower Saxony and Hesse. The Weser forms the border with the former. Beverungen was once the largest Jewish community in the Bishopric. In 1718 in Beverungen founded a "Chevra Kadisha". By 1718, the Jewish cemetery near the former paper mill on the Dalhauser road, according to the "Memorbuch," was purchased by the Moses Spiro. The oldest surviving gravestone of the cemetery dates from the 1760s. "Memorbuch" created in 1726  contained information about the deceased members of the community of the late 17th until the 19th century existed about 1937. The core of the cemetery from the Grundstück formed a detached property at the beginning of the 18th Century that had been ceded to the Jews. In 1723/24 a wall came down and has since disappeared; however. 1732 is confirmed the assignment to the "Totenackers " to the Jewish Community. Because Weser Beverungen was once home to the largest Jewish community in the Bishopric, the cemetery on the road Dalhauser was increased by about 3/4 acre in 1868 and still retains an area of more than 3,000 square meters and more than 170 gravestones from Weser sandstone facing east (Jerusalem). The old gravestones are decorated with various ornaments, inscriptions, and the Jewish calendar [sic?]. While initially the dead were buried in turn, in the early 20th Century burials were separated by families. Three Jewish community members who survived the Holocaust, built in a memorial for their murdered co-religionists. [Sep 2012]

  • Title: Some Jewish Families of Hesse and Galicia
    Author: Nathan Reiss
    Publication Date: 2006
    No. of Pages: 1,100+
    Comments: ISBN 1-4243-0069-X; see http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeskyb6 for more info or to purchase

CEMETERY: City Beverungen Höxter at Dalhauser road B 241 (hall 20, No. 133). Used well before 1730 - 1961, 1862, 1864, 1870 extended, reduced in 1884, 1887. 200 gravestones visible. The cemetery was desecrated in 1924. [Sept 2012]
- Approximately 1975 - 2000 by Heritage Office (Photos)
- History in Westphalia-Lippe 1987 , p.78
- History in splendor 1998 , pp. 168 - 169, 247 - 248

CEMETERY: 37688 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)

information and photo below received from This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it of Sydney, Australia, based on her visit to Beverungen in 2007:  Approximately 2km west of Beverungen/ township on the Dalhauser Straße; on the southern side of the road near the Haarbrück turnoff. The cemetery was established in c.1790.  It then became the primary Jewish burial site for the Jewish community of Beverungen.  Access to the cemetery can be arranged through the Rathaus, Stadt Beverungen, Weserstraße, 37688 Beverungen. The cemetery is in fairly good condition and is maintained by the local town authorities.  Many graves are still visible with about 150 still readable.  The earliest legible grave is 1852 and there are many 20th century graves. A brief reference to the origins of the cemetery is contained in the chapter "Zur Geschichte der Juden in Beverungen" in Günther, Ralf, Geschichte der Stadt Beverungen, Bonifatius, Paderborn, 1993 [May 30, 2010]

Last Updated on Thursday, 13 September 2012 23:35