ALDENHOVEN (Langweiler)(Duren): North Rhine-Westphalia Print

Coat of arms of AldenhovenAldenhoven is a municipality in the district of Düren approx. 5 km SW of Jülich, 5 km N of Eschweiler and 20 km NE of Aachen. 50°53′45″N 6°16′59″E,

52457 North Rhine-Westphalia (Gerz)

The cemetery is tucked away behind garages. It was occupied by 1820 and 1935. Today only five gravestones are visible. The burial site was sold in 1939 to a private individual. In 1953 the Jewish Trust Corporation acquired and occupied the smaller, about 158 m² portion. Originally, the cemetery was seven times larger. Blueprint. An inconspicuous entrance, which would not be noticeable leads to the small burial ground behind the garages. (Photos: Eickhorst) photo. Aldenhoven had three Jewish cemeteries: The oldest Jewish cemetery in the village of Langweiler was on "Schofskamp" on the west side of the castle. In 19th century, this cemetery was abandoned and the remains transferred to the next cemetery.

Second cemetery was in the "Section G 1012" or a newer name in the hallway 4, No. 161 on Hoengenerweg  and was about 1300 square meters. Apart from an old drawing in the "Little Village Chronicle of the Catholic elementary school boring in 1963/64" no illustrations or an assignment list this burial site. During World War II, the Russian POWs were buried in the cemetery.

In 1964, Langweiler got the Jewish cemetery and the synagogue of the remaining opencast mine victim. About 20 of the gravestones from Langweiler are now at the Jewish cemetery in Düren.

Last Updated on Thursday, 13 September 2012 18:10