JEVER: 26441 Lower Saxony (Peters).
General names index. 220 tombstones (some not readable), 1796-1967. see book listed in Niedersachsen in General Section. Source: Tagger, Mathilde A. Printed Books on Jewish cemeteries in the Jewish National and University Library in Jerusalem: an annotated bibliography. Jerusalem: The Israel Genealogical Society, 1997.
CEMETERY LOCATION : about 4 km south-east of Jever-Hohewarf, on the road to Cleverns
COORDINATES: Latitude: 53.551769 / Longitude: 7.8843
IN USE: first mentioned 1587 as "Judenkirchhof" (Jewish cemetery) in City documents without precise location. Later burial records date from 1796 to 1941, 1967 and 1983
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 221 gravestones preserved. Last funeral in 1983
AREA OF CEMETERY: currently 16.18 acres
COMMENTS: A cemetery was established in 1779 following an influx of Jewish families during the 18th century . Up to then Jews living in Jever are assumed to have brought their Dead for burial to Neustadtgödens or Wittmund. The date of the oldest gravestone is 1796. Nearly all gravestones were toppled over during the Nazi period and numerous surrounds of graves were damaged. A plan exists since 1944 to use the cemetery as a storage area for road and construction materials, which is no longer pursued. The cemetery was refurbished after 1945 which included new memorials for Fallen Jewish soldiers of the first World War, Jews murdered during the Nazi period and a tablet in memory of the destroyed synagogue. The cemetery is now being cared for by the Protestant-Lutheran church of Jever. The key to the cemetery can be obtained from the church office at Kirchplatz
DOCUMENTATION: 1979 by Groningen (photos, copy and translation: all gravestones)
PUBLICATIONS: History, photos, inscriptions by Töllner 1983 pages 25-184.
HISTORY OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY: online Alemannia Judaica
COMMENT: an older cemetery was located on the outskirts of Jever - Töllner 1983 page 25.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Uni-Heidelberg
[translated from German November 2007]