DANNENBERG (ELBE): 29451 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: South-east of Dannenberg, close to the village of Prisser.
IN USE: From 1742 until 1899 (last burial). Oldest datable gravestone 1776.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 45 in 2002, some of which toppled and/or broken.
- Ralph Bush: on pages 315 and 353 of Beitraege zur Geschichte der Juden in Uelzen und in Nordostniedersachsen publ. 1996 by Oldenburg: Isensee Verlag, 420 pages, illust.(LBI)
- The cemetery‘s original size was more than doubled in 1883, because it was also used by the Jewish communities of Bergen/Dumme, Clenze, Hitzacker, Lüchow and Wustrow. Around the middle of the 19h century the cemetery was surrounded by a hedge and a ditch. The hedge was replaced in 1869 by a fence and an iron gate.
- Vandalism of the cemetery was recorded in 1957, 1981 and again in 1985, when gravestones were toppled, destroyed and/or daubed with paint.
- The cemetery was refurbished between 1953 and 1957. The ownership was transferred in 1960 to the Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch, pages 448-454 (DNB).
(Researched and translated from German June 2009)
Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 00:20