CUXHAVEN incorporating BROCKESWALDE: 27476 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Sahlenburger Chaussee - park at Schützenhaus Brockeswalde. Sign posted.
IN USE: From 1754 until 1955.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES:
- 61 mainly dating back to the 19th century. No precise numbers of original total but estimated between 150 and 200.
- Several photographs by the Institut für die Geschichte der deutschen Juden Hamburg.
- 1987-1992 copies of all gravestone inscriptions by Harald Storz.
- 1980/81 copies of all German gravestone inscriptions and 1985, 1995 grave register: all by Klaus-Peter Schulz, Kreisheimatmuseum Osterholz.
- History by Frauke Dettmer, pages 69-76 in Juden im Amt Ritzebuettel und der Stadt Cuxhaven publ.[1991?] Cuxhaven,Druck: E. Vorrath, 179 pages, map, drawings (LBI).
- Cemetery was enlarged in 1818 and, still clearly recognisable now, surrounded by a ditch and wall.
- During the Nazi era, from 1933 onwards, the cemetery was repeatedly vandalised. It was refurbished in 1954/55 and ownership transferred to the Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony in 1970.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch, pages 436-443 (DNB).
(Researched and translated from German June 2009)
Last Updated on Thursday, 11 June 2009 16:53